• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Reaction score
IMO, that's maybe the most interesting aspect of 4/27. What may have been something very similar to the '74 Super Outbreak turned into something that kinda reminds me of Palm Sunday '65 on steroids (like.. lots and lots of steroids). Still a large areal extent overall, but with a relatively smaller focus of incredible violence.
Yeah, 4/27/11 was probably more similar to 3/21/32 or 4/20/1920, as those outbreaks had tightly packed, narrow areas that became more or less Armageddon. I know those outbreaks aren't as well documented but it wouldn't surprise me if they had a similar amount of tornadoes that just didn't get recorded due to the lack of technology compared to now.
Is there any outbreak with as wide a geographical extent as 4/3/74? I can't think of any at the moment.

Reaction score
In that case...I think it's been discussed here and/or in the 4/27-specific thread before. It seems to be pretty well agreed upon that one significant (but probably not the only) factor was that midday MCS that produced a few weak tornadoes across far northern Alabama hampered areas further north from destabilizing. This probably prevented significant tornadoes in middle TN, KY, IN and OH (something more resembling 1974 in spatial extent), but also laid down a boundary that further enhanced the already very strong low-level shear and resulted in tornado Armageddon across a narrow strip of eastern MS across Alabama, from Smithville to Hackleburg to Cullman, and possibly others such as Haleyville and some of the ones in far northeast AL/northwest GA (Section-Pisgah-Flat Rock-Trenton, Fackler-Bridgeport).

It's kind of an afterthought with how hard Alabama and eastern Mississippi got hit, but Chattanooga came unnervingly close to having a violent tornado move through the city that day. The Trenton tornado dissipated in Ft. Oglethorpe, and Ringgold is just southeast of there.
I don't know where this was discussed on the thread before (or any other thread on the site) but I believe it was, we'd have to dig through tons of pages to find it though lol.
Thanks for the answer!

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Yeah, 4/27/11 was probably more similar to 3/21/32 or 4/20/1920, as those outbreaks had tightly packed, narrow areas that became more or less Armageddon. I know those outbreaks aren't as well documented but it wouldn't surprise me if they had a similar amount of tornadoes that just didn't get recorded due to the lack of technology compared to now.
Is there any outbreak with as wide a geographical extent as 4/3/74? I can't think of any at the moment.
3/16/1942 and 3/28/1920 affected particularly large geographic areas

Last edited:

joshoctober16

Reaction score
It seems that Loyal Valley/Harper/Vilonia/Chickasha/Goldsby definitely should belong to this list and being more obvious EF5 level tornado than at least Cullman.
its to note for cullman it was not when it was at cullman but later on , it did also dug some trenches , for now i am able to keep vilonia/chickasha/goldsby out of the EF5 group (but barely , all at the 200 mph mark group) unless theres info that i didnt put about them yet

Reaction score
its to note for cullman it was not when it was at cullman but later on , it did also dug some trenches , for now i am able to keep vilonia/chickasha/goldsby out of the EF5 group (but barely , all at the 200 mph mark group) unless theres info that i didnt put about them yet
Search "Vilonia" with Marshall's username in the search bar. Then the same but with Ponhpei's. Then you will see why Vilonia should make the list.

locomusic01

Reaction score
3/16/1942 and 3/28/1920 affected particularly large geographic areas
Those events and 5/9/27 immediately come to mind as far as huge areal extent, though obviously none of them came close to the ridiculous intensity of 4/3/74. IIRC, 4/18/1880 covered a large area as well. You could add more if you include outbreak sequences, but I tend not to for this sort of thing.

this brings up a question tough , why is there 3 listed as a superoutbreak? and not 4? (looking at 1965.0411)
Palm Sunday '65 didn't have a huge number of tornadoes overall, which is what keeps it from generally being considered a Super Outbreak. I kinda go back and forth on that personally.

joshoctober16

Reaction score
Those events and 5/9/27 immediately come to mind as far as huge areal extent, though obviously none of them came close to the ridiculous intensity of 4/3/74. IIRC, 4/18/1880 covered a large area as well. You could add more if you include outbreak sequences, but I tend not to for this sort of thing.

Palm Sunday '65 didn't have a huge number of tornadoes overall, which is what keeps it from generally being considered a Super Outbreak. I kinda go back and forth on that personally.
ya but it seem to had more tornadoes then the 1932 superoutbreak (apparently listed as one)

locomusic01

Reaction score
ya but it seem to had more tornadoes then the 1932 superoutbreak (apparently listed as one)
I'd imagine the numbers are pretty significantly undercounted. While I was researching the Tupelo-Gainesville outbreak I found at least half a dozen undocumented tornadoes, and I wasn't even specifically looking for them. That said, I'm not certain I'd consider 3/21/32 a super outbreak either. The Enigma outbreak is probably at least as good a candidate, though it's hard to say when there's so little verifiable data.

Reaction score
I'd imagine the numbers are pretty significantly undercounted. While I was researching the Tupelo-Gainesville outbreak I found at least half a dozen undocumented tornadoes, and I wasn't even specifically looking for them. That said, I'm not certain I'd consider 3/21/32 a super outbreak either. The Enigma outbreak is probably at least as good a candidate, though it's hard to say when there's so little verifiable data.
I'm sure lots of the Dixie outbreaks from pre-1950 likely have dozens of undocumented tornadoes, majority minor but probably some violent ones that stayed out in isolated, backwoods-type areas that were likely even more remote back then compared to nowadays.
I wonder if tornado fatalities will start to increase at some point, due to urban sprawl and increasing population in certain areas of the country....

joshoctober16

Reaction score
I'm sure lots of the Dixie outbreaks from pre-1950 likely have dozens of undocumented tornadoes, majority minor but probably some violent ones that stayed out in isolated, backwoods-type areas that were likely even more remote back then compared to nowadays.
I wonder if tornado fatalities will start to increase at some point, due to urban sprawl and increasing population in certain areas of the country....
for death (ignoring Joplin) , we have been doing honestly pretty good compared to the past , 2011 super outbreak and the Mayfield tornado kind of came close but its not as bad as it was in the past or Joplin

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
There has been a consistent downtrend in tornado related deaths even as urban areas expand and the population of the US increases so I don’t think it will uptrend any time soon.

Reaction score
There has been a consistent downtrend in tornado related deaths even as urban areas expand and the population of the US increases so I don’t think it will uptrend any time soon.

I think a big reason for that is, if you read for example @locomusic01 's article on 5/31/85 you are quickly appalled at just how many people were caught off guard while going about their business as usual, or survived only because they happened to turn on the TV in the nick of time and catch the warning, giving them just moments to dive for cover before the tornado struck their location. Now 37 years later NOAA weather radio is much more widespread, and the introduction of warning dissemination by WEA was a real game-changer.

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
For sure rural and remote areas got undercounted in the past, moreso if weak or short-path. Many of the pics and reports of Tri-State were by newspapers and reporters from larger towns and if that didn't happen we'd know far far less about that event. In my part of the world even now I know of several reliably witnessed tornadoes that the after-storm surveys didn't count, and sometimes didn't even investigate. It's hard to decipher weak very short paths after-the-fact, and that kind is our usual tornado here.

Better warning and better sheltering knowledge is going to be the biggest factor in casualty reduction, but there's also better construction to credit in places where storms have taken out older and weaker buildings already. Mayfield highly piqued my interest because you had almost every type and age of structure involved including anchor-bolted homes at Cambridge Shores and I think Bremen too, right down to sheds and weak 'cabin' type homes. Joplin was much the same but had the hospital as probably the strongest type of structure we commonly see.

pohnpei

Reaction score
For the "trenches" , I actually have hesitation about the trenches digging automatically EF5 qualifier thing. The recent EF3 tornado in La 11/29 dug pretty remarkable trench near an EF2 rating house and I didn't see anyone said it was an EF5 level tornado. Also there was an EF1 tornado dug considerable trench. Despite the fact that the rating could be higher if it hit something significant but clearly it wasn't anyway close to EF5 level tornado. So I think trench digging was never classified as an serious DI in both F and EF scale and won't be in the future revised EF scale for a reason. The mechanism behind this phenomenon is still largely unknown and should be discussed and detected for every specific case. Nelson once had some pretty good discussion about this phenomenon and I'm gradually convinced that in many cases, it doesn't need specifically high winds to dig a trench and it is more of a matter of soil condition in most cases. Also considering the fact that the definition of tornado winds in EF scale was 3s winds, I tend to think that it shouldn't be regarded as automatic EF5 qualifer.

For Cullman at its peak intensity, tornadotalk had a great article and many details about it.Certainly I agree that it was extremely violent but the overall contextual didn't reach Vilonia/Bassfield level and it didn't hit something that constructed very well.

Last edited:

joshoctober16

Reaction score
For the "trenches" , I actually have hesitation about the trenches digging automatically EF5 qualifier thing. The recent EF3 tornado in La 11/29 dug pretty remarkable trench near an EF2 rating house and I didn't see anyone said it was an EF5 level tornado. Also there was an EF1 tornado dug considerable trench. Despite the fact that the rating could be higher if it hit something significant but clearly it wasn't anyway close to EF5 level tornado. So I think trench digging was never classified as an serious DI in both F and EF scale and won't be in the future revised EF scale for a reason. The mechanism behind this phenomenon is still largely unknown and should be discussed and detected for every specific case. Nelson once had some pretty good discussion about this phenomenon and I'm gradually convinced that in many cases, it doesn't need specifically high winds to dig a trench and it is more of a matter of soil condition in most cases. Also considering the fact that the definition of tornado winds in EF scale was 3s winds, I tend to think that it shouldn't be regarded as automatic EF5 qualifer.

For Cullman at its peak intensity, tornadotalk had a great article and many details about it.Certainly I agree that it was extremely violent but the overall contextual didn't reach Vilonia/Bassfield level and it didn't hit something that constructed very well.
i mostly agree with your reason but , there is a depth point we can agree would be EF5. the EF3 trench digging was not rated EF3 but EF2 , however i feel it might fit more with a EF3 rating for that spot.

cullman used to be pretty high on my list but the past week it seems to have gone down. for now the main thing is it was a tornado that of course trench dug the ground while moving over 50 mph and some areas nearby had trees missing.

im pretty sure weak slight scouring could be done by weak tornadoes that i can agree.

for now the top tornado list seems to be around here? (it keeps changing a lot but smithville and sherman seems to stay in the top 4) 1670652339630.png not finish but hey at least even not finish there all in equal footing.

locomusic01

Reaction score

There was a Twitter thread recently from a soil scientist that got into this. I don't have it handy right now so I'm going from memory, but IIRC his suggestion was essentially that there were two different strata of soil with different properties and that the top layer sort of separated at that boundary. Once it started getting pulled up (maybe from a debris impact or just some kind of existing discontinuity) it basically peeled away in strips like fresh sod.

I'd imagine it would still take a fairly significant tornado in most cases, but not necessarily a high-end violent one. The Tidioute F3 from 5/31/85 is another example that comes to mind - it's very possible it was actually stronger than F3 at some point, but a lot of sources described it digging a "trench" a bit east of town in an area where it was likely more in the F2 or low-end F3 range. I wasn't able to find any photos, but I learned what really happened from the folks who owned the property. A large metal fence post had been driven into the ground at a shallow angle, creating sort of like a long slash, and that allowed the winds to get in there and peel back chunks on either side of it.

I'm far from an expert, but I'm inclined to think that sort of thing is less impressive than legit, full-on ground scouring.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
i mostly agree with your reason but , there is a depth point we can agree would be EF5. the EF3 trench digging was not rated EF3 but EF2 , however i feel it might fit more with a EF3 rating for that spot.

cullman used to be pretty high on my list but the past week it seems to have gone down. for now the main thing is it was a tornado that of course trench dug the ground while moving over 50 mph and some areas nearby had trees missing.

im pretty sure weak slight scouring could be done by weak tornadoes that i can agree.

for now the top tornado list seems to be around here? (it keeps changing a lot but smithville and sherman seems to stay in the top 4) View attachment 15940 not finish but hey at least even not finish there all in equal footing.
I’m surprised that Sherman is up so high on that list with the little information that exists about it. Also why do you have Jarrell as an F5+.

locomusic01

Reaction score
On a somewhat related note, I really wish I could find some photos from around the North Wisconsin Junction near the beginning of the New Richmond path. I've read a couple accounts that reported a short stretch of the train track was pulled up and that the soil was "plowed up" on either side. I'm skeptical without actually seeing it, but the tornado does seem to have very rapidly intensified in that area shortly after touching down.

Back