• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Western_KS_Wx

Reaction score
Based on the tornadotalk's article and my discussion with nelson who communicated with surveyors like Rick Smith, I think survey team seems to reach to consensus that this tornado attain EF5 intensity both near Calumet and Piedmont damage wise. But for rating staff, I'm not sure.
Yeah using the traditional scale and the damage indicators this tornado would’ve been rated EF4, although I’d argue some of the home damage in piedmont warranted an EF5 rating. Chickasha and Goldsby that same day both 100% reached EF5 intensity and pretty much did EF5 damage yet got hit with an EF4 rating despite clearly being top-tier violent tornadoes.

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Worth noting that El Reno 2011 has, by a considerable margin, the deepest TDS documented in the dual pol era. It reached over 40,000 feet in the vicinity of the NW Expressway near Piedmont.

locomusic01

Reaction score
One interesting photo along Us66 near Calumet. I not so sure what happened here but it seems to me that part of foundation of the house was gone? Also this was the place where underground shelter was cracked.
View attachment 15877
Yeah, I believe this is directly across from the Calumet "Y" - IIRC it was a horse farm and they lost all but a couple of their horses. The entire property was just completely obliterated.

I have better quality photos somewhere, but here are a few low-res ones. The last two are the damaged storm shelter:

WkqrnEA.jpg

qe3aUuY.jpg

sr88qK8.jpg

FO9GmZs.jpg

6gbFYg3.jpg

XZWBdbo.jpg

glduWcK.jpg

G8S16tW.jpg

Some stuff from the "Y" across the road:

mWAv3WW.jpg

qJbZZNj.jpg

UEBWejo.jpg

UEiyvDM.jpg

Y09kutN.jpg

PfHh15D.jpg

rnhDm6J.jpg

4MpVl00.jpg

rO9S3Ll.jpg

CclKnlR.jpg

This was a pickup truck at one time. I don't recall how far it was thrown, but the engine was found around 600 yards further away:

wZQXWUj.jpg

nG540dX.jpg

pohnpei

Reaction score
Worth noting that El Reno 2011 has, by a considerable margin, the deepest TDS documented in the dual pol era. It reached over 40,000 feet in the vicinity of the NW Expressway near Piedmont.

I believe this was the best footage where TDS reached 41300 feet. Also worth noticing that it did this in wild open field with no house.

locomusic01

Reaction score
That vehicle damage is on par with Bridge Creek/Moore '99, which I consider the poster child for F5 vehicle damage.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Yeah, some places in Calumet and Piedmont are practically indistinguishable from Southern Hills, which is the absolute peak of the damage in Bridge Creek.

Reaction score
We really need like a repository of photos for different tornadoes lol. I've got like a thousand photos from El Reno '11 but I dunno what has and hasn't been posted before.
Quite a bit of what you've posted I've never seen before, really impressive stuff from that horse ranch property area.
Also, this video has some incredible footage from the Cactus drill site, including the shelter with the massive anchor that was broken off and left with a huge dent (dent is visible around 2:05 in the vid):

Western_KS_Wx

Reaction score
Yeah, some places in Calumet and Piedmont are practically indistinguishable from Southern Hills, which is the absolute peak of the damage in Bridge Creek.
El Reno 2011 easily is on par with Jarrell and Bridge Creek, one could argue it may have even been stronger than the two. It was also faster moving with an average forward speed of 36mph and also a significantly longer damage path with a much longer swath of EF4-EF5 damage.

locomusic01

Reaction score
El Reno 2011 easily is on par with Jarrell and Bridge Creek, one could argue it may have even been stronger than the two. It was also faster moving with an average forward speed of 36mph and also a significantly longer damage path with a much longer swath of EF4-EF5 damage.
Yeah, I don't usually get into ranking tornadoes and such because it's just so subjective, but I think you could put Bridge Creek, Jarrell, El Reno '11 and Smithville in the top four for the modern era (however you choose to define that) and make decent arguments for ranking them in any order. Nothing quite compares to Jarrell for me personally, but it's pretty much splitting the finest of hairs between any of the four (and several others tbh).

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't usually get into ranking tornadoes and such because it's just so subjective, but I think you could put Bridge Creek, Jarrell, El Reno '11 and Smithville in the top four for the modern era (however you choose to define that) and make decent arguments for ranking them in any order. Nothing quite compares to Jarrell for me personally, but it's pretty much splitting the finest of hairs between any of the four (and several others tbh).
2011 really was the year of the tornado, lists like this are meaningless because several tornadoes from a single year alone could be in the top 4 lol.
Well, Loyal Valley is pretty comparable, thankfully with less fatalities and damage.

locomusic01

Reaction score
2011 really was the year of the tornado, lists like this are meaningless because several tornadoes from a single year alone could be in the top 4 lol.
Well, Loyal Valley is pretty comparable, thankfully with less fatalities and damage.
We've literally never seen a year quite like it, and as fascinating as it was, I sure hope we never do again. And obviously Joplin deserves a mention there as well, having caused probably the most extreme damage I can recall in modern times to a densely populated area. There are so many tornadoes that would've been headline events in most other years that were afterthoughts in 2011.

I've actually thought about doing an article and/or video on that someday, not just for 2011 but sort of looking at lesser-known violent tornadoes throughout history that were overshadowed by other, more notable ones. Certainly no shortage of examples to pick from.

Reaction score
We've literally never seen a year quite like it, and as fascinating as it was, I sure hope we never do again. And obviously Joplin deserves a mention there as well, having caused probably the most extreme damage I can recall in modern times to a densely populated area. There are so many tornadoes that would've been headline events in most other years that were afterthoughts in 2011.

I've actually thought about doing an article and/or video on that someday, not just for 2011 but sort of looking at lesser-known violent tornadoes throughout history that were overshadowed by other, more notable ones. Certainly no shortage of examples to pick from.
Never seen a year like it? Really? I think 1953 is pretty close to it in terms of fatalities and widespread geographic extent.

locomusic01

Reaction score
Never seen a year like it? Really? I think 1953 is pretty close to it in terms of fatalities and widespread geographic extent.
There are several other years that stand out (1953 probably being the most notable - maybe 1896 and/or 1917), but I'm not sure anything quite matches 2011. Not just in sheer numbers (which are pretty wild), but also the number of historically violent tornadoes.

pohnpei

Reaction score
I tend to think that if tornados in 2011 happened in 1953, it would have caused near 1000 death or even more in one year. Like there were so many cases that people in direct path of those violent super outbreak tornados took shelter in advance due to tornado warning and certainly saved their lifes. Thanks to the warning system! This was one of impression I get from reading all the tornadotalk's article. If Hackleburg happened in 1953, it would easily cause more than 100, even more than 150 death undoubtedly.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
While 1953 had many violent tornadoes and they occurred over a wide area, the 2011 tornadoes far exceed those ones in intensity with only Flint coming close. Also 1953 didn't have a Super Outbreak.

Reaction score
There are several other years that stand out (1953 probably being the most notable - maybe 1896 and/or 1917), but I'm not sure anything quite matches 2011. Not just in sheer numbers (which are pretty wild), but also the number of historically violent tornadoes.
Two questions:

1. What made 2011 such an active year?
2. Why was 4/3/74 more geographically widespread than 4/27/11?

Last edited:

DetectiveWX

Reaction score
I know '11 was coming off 1st year La Nina, which tends to be more dangerous than 2nd year ones as Fred mentioned. -PNA/ -PDO/ +TNI combo contributed to late season snows in the Northwest and Upper Midwest and the mega drought in TX/SW desert which, in turn, helped with dry line intrusions into Dixie.
2) I don't know. My guess is the '74 gulf intrusions wasn't far reaching as '11, or more likely, many undocumented tornadoes lost though history.

Back