• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120
Reaction score
How this innocent F1 tornado tragically killed 16 boaters
https://www.tornadotalk.com/whippoorwill-pomona-lake-ks-f1-tornado-june-17-1978/

On the 17th of June 1978, the Whippoorwill Showboat set off on Lake Pomona, KS. At the same time, a small, weak, and naive F1 tornado touched down just at the west end of the lake and began to cross it as a tornadic waterspout. The result was the deadliest weak tornado (and waterspout) in history. This is the 46th Anniversary of the 1978 Whippoorwill incident.

Last edited:

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

An even more detailed year timeline of the worst tornadoes since 1950 (lost media and rare tornadoes included!)

He used the 1979 Cheyenne tornado as the 1981 backdrop and the 2014 Watford City tornado as 1983 lol. Can't immediately identify the other two, but if it's like any of his other thumbnails, I'm sure they're mislabeled too.

I do commend the research and effort he puts into his videos, and maybe it's my fault for pointing out something so miniscule, but I can't help but always notice details like that.

Reaction score
1718687477786.pngSignificant Tornado Events _ Page 552 _ TalkWeather and 11 more pages - Personal - Microsoft ...png

Imagine walking around in The Old West and seeing a tornado. This North Dakota tornado photo in 1895 can best describe what you would see. It is the very first high-quality tornado photo in history. It is one of the best photos of the 19th century, almost like a 2010s photo, but with the color drained from it. Pecos Hank would've been very proud of Clinton Johnson, the man who took this photo. I'm pretty sure it was this tornado near Oakwood, North Dakota that was in the photo. One fatality and 5 injuries were reported.

Last edited:

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
View attachment 28713View attachment 28715

Imagine walking around in The Old West and seeing a tornado. This North Dakota tornado photo in 1895 can best describe what you would see. It is the very first high-quality tornado photo in history. It is one of the best photos of the 19th century, almost like a 2010s photo, but with the color drained from it. Pecos Hank would've been very proud of Clinton Johnson, the man who took this photo. I'm pretty sure it was this tornado near Oakwood, North Dakota that was in the photo. One fatality and 5 injuries were reported.
Excerpt from Significant Tornadoes regarding that exact photo:
"Early in this documentation project, it was assumed that this was a photograph of the tornado in Walsh County, North Dakota on July 13, 1895. However, further research at the Library of Congress revealed a tornado date of July 22, 1895 on the original copyright form. We were not able to locate a description or position of any North Dakota tornado on that date, so the photograph remains that of an unidentified tornado."

Mean this in the nicest possible way, but you gotta work on fact-checking your posts.

With that said, can't dispute that it's a beautiful photograph. There are a few specific periods in tornado history that just fascinate me, and the 1890s is one of them.

Reaction score
Excerpt from Significant Tornadoes regarding that exact photo:
"Early in this documentation project, it was assumed that this was a photograph of the tornado in Walsh County, North Dakota on July 13, 1895. However, further research at the Library of Congress revealed a tornado date of July 22, 1895 on the original copyright form. We were not able to locate a description or position of any North Dakota tornado on that date, so the photograph remains that of an unidentified tornado."

Mean this in the nicest possible way, but you gotta work on fact-checking your posts.

With that said, can't dispute that it's a beautiful photograph. There are a few specific periods in tornado history that just fascinate me, and the 1890s is one of them.
Oops! I didn't realize I was more than a week off on that one! lol

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Oops! I didn't realize I was more than a week off on that one! lol
Don't fret over it, I'm sure we've all made similar mistakes before (I know I have, lol). Cross checking multiple sources including the Tornado Archive, Significant Tornadoes, the ESWD and others is important. Media outlets for example, particularly in other countries, report stuff wrong all the time.

Not calling you out or anything, but I think most here would agree with me that this thread being inundated with inaccurate info wouldn't be such a good thing.

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
He used the 1979 Cheyenne tornado as the 1981 backdrop and the 2014 Watford City tornado as 1983 lol. Can't immediately identify the other two, but if it's like any of his other thumbnails, I'm sure they're mislabeled too.

I do commend the research and effort he puts into his videos, and maybe it's my fault for pointing out something so miniscule, but I can't help but always notice details like that.
Accuracy does matter, and sometimes it isn't easy. I remember making inquiries here regards one of that creator's vids about the Warner-Robins tornado which he did a segment on, and discovering some important errata which is widely believed but wrong nonetheless. I've also noted several other vids getting significant facts wrong. He's kind of new to the game and he's very good with vid production but lacking in research depth. He does have a popular appeal to a younger generation of folks which does a lot of good at helping keep interest in tornadoes and history alive, but that has to be accurate to have real value. There's another popular presenter with a similar appeal and following, but she rarely gets anything wrong. Neither one's style is exactly to my liking but I do watch their stuff to see what I can learn and I've watched them both from their starts. He's getting better but too slowly for me to recommend here, seemingly more interested in making popular vids than in accuracy even after I've given him better sources for research (including here). And he's very light on the meteorology aspect too.

I know it took me many years to find TalkWeather and it's great repository of storms and history and knowledgeable people so I can't blame him except for he doesn't seem to make much use of my recommendation that he do more research here. It's not always easy to navigate this place if you're looking for specific events, but all one needs to do is ask and you'll get more and better answers here than anyplace else online. I only wish it was within my means to better support TalkWeather and it's people.

Last edited:

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Accuracy does matter, and sometimes it isn't easy. I remember making inquiries here regards one of that creator's vids about the Warner-Robbins tornado which he did a segment on, and discovering some important errata which is widely believed but wrong nonetheless. I've also noted several other vids getting significant facts wrong. He's kind of new to the game and he's very good with vid production but lacking in research depth. He does have a popular appeal to a younger generation of folks which does a lot of good at helping keep interest in tornadoes and history alive, but that has to be accurate to have real value. There's another popular presenter with a similar appeal and following, but she rarely gets anything wrong. Neither one's style is exactly to my liking but I do watch their stuff to see what I can learn and I've watched them both from their starts. He's getting better but too slowly for me to recommend here, seemingly more interested in making popular vids than in accuracy even after I've given him better sources for research (including here). And he's very light on the meteorology aspect too.

I know it took me many years to find TalkWeather and it's great repository of storms and history and knowledgeable people so I can't blame him except for he doesn't seem to make much use of my recommendation that he do more research here. It's not always easy to navigate this place if you're looking for specific events, but all one needs to do is ask and you'll get more and better answers here than anyplace else online. I only wish it was within my means to better support TalkWeather and it's people.
I am legally obligated to correct you and tell you that it’s Warner Robins with one “b”. (It’s a dumb name for a city, I didn’t come up with it)

HAwkmoon

Reaction score
A book published on the Tri State tornado, America’s Deadliest Twister.

Also, I found a photograph taken inside of the De Soto grade school. These were made the night after the storm
View attachment 28717
damn nice find. That school was very poorly built btw.

Here is Orient number 2's main tipple which could hoist 15,000 tons of coal every 8 hours. Any other interesting pictures from that book? 1718736608464.jpeg

Reaction score
I do have some more photographs from the book. Descriptions included 38B0D448-343D-4159-9F6B-5F9FF456D64B.jpeg1D0B49D7-582D-41F6-9C90-FCF435501ECC.jpeg9E381D64-1BBC-4B2C-ACA7-28355F836EA2.jpeg
28741_da79b786b13d61cdda8e2c1af191cd1c.jpeg
76F5BE27-BF10-4522-9ED2-9510E36B3126.jpeg

Attachments

• 01CBD98A-E571-4E4D-B07E-79FE5B65F69A.jpeg
    01CBD98A-E571-4E4D-B07E-79FE5B65F69A.jpeg
    203.4 KB · Views: 0

locomusic01

Reaction score
View attachment 28713

One of my favorite tornado photos of the 1800s was from the Delmar, IA-Forreston, IL F4 on 5/18/1898 (same day as the F5 in Marathon County, WI):

HGzidle.jpeg

The tornado itself seems to have been extremely violent based on descriptions, but I haven't really looked for photos yet so I've only got one in my folder:

YtZByH3.jpeg

Anyway, speaking of North Dakota, the 8/20/1911 Antler, ND F4 is another of my favorites. It was unusually well-documented for the time period, and the photos are spectacular (especially the last one):

JydJvdS.jpeg

NupMXIl.jpeg

odeXVir.jpeg

XUBij9g.jpeg

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
One of my favorite tornado photos of the 1800s was from the Delmar, IA-Forreston, IL F4 on 5/18/1898 (same day as the F5 in Marathon County, WI):

HGzidle.jpeg

The tornado itself seems to have been extremely violent based on descriptions, but I haven't really looked for photos yet so I've only got one in my folder:

YtZByH3.jpeg

Anyway, speaking of North Dakota, the 8/20/1911 Antler, ND F4 is another of my favorites. It was unusually well-documented for the time period, and the photos are spectacular (especially the last one):

JydJvdS.jpeg

NupMXIl.jpeg

odeXVir.jpeg

XUBij9g.jpeg
Huh, I wasn't aware there was a tornado photo from the 5/18/1898 outbreak.

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score

HGzidle.jpeg

YtZByH3.jpeg

JydJvdS.jpeg

NupMXIl.jpeg

odeXVir.jpeg

XUBij9g.jpeg
Wow didn't realize there was a tornado photo from that 5/18/1898 outbreak. And yes the Antler photos are amazing for the time: http://antlernd.com/History/Tornado/page14.html

Back