• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Incredible vehicle damage in the vid. And in reading the description, a van firewall with the serial number giving positive identification being found 7 miles away boggles my mind.

And the new vehicle classification is quite crazy. You really can't use one or even a dozen vehicle categories to determine windspeed estimates as vehicles vary wildly in aerodynamic properties based on what's facing the wind without considering light vehicles with a large boxy surface area like my minivan will be far more affected than a small heavy one with a rounded shape. Even among only regular cars alone a Toyota Yaris will be affected more easily than a 95 Caddilic. I would say that any idiot could easily see this disparity but apparently some cannot.

joshoctober16

Reaction score
Incredible vehicle damage in the vid. And in reading the description, a van firewall with the serial number giving positive identification being found 7 miles away boggles my mind.

And the new vehicle classification is quite crazy. You really can't use one or even a dozen vehicle categories to determine windspeed estimates as vehicles vary wildly in aerodynamic properties based on what's facing the wind without considering light vehicles with a large boxy surface area like my minivan will be far more affected than a small heavy one with a rounded shape. Even among only regular cars alone a Toyota Yaris will be affected more easily than a 95 Caddilic. I would say that any idiot could easily see this disparity but apparently some cannot.
well that's litterly what the next EF scale is going to be sadly

seen here is how they put the vehicle di

also here's a other wind resistance map
1718505663676.png

Reaction score

Really, the part of the firewall of a van was found 7 miles away and that would be high-end EF3. To me that is flat out retarded. I trust the weather enthusiasts a lot more than the experts.

joshoctober16

Reaction score
Really, the part of the firewall of a van was found 7 miles away and that would be high-end EF3. To me that is flat out stupid. I trust the weather enthusiasts a lot more than the experts.
unknown (2).png
Bowling green EF2 rated house apparently... swept clean..... seem to have been a brick house , was not even rated high end EF2 but somewhere at 120-129 mph
they stated debris from other homes hit this.... (well rip joplin, moore and tuscaloosa for there violent ratings then)

unknown (3).png
unsure how the heck a whole frame house having its roof gone = 65 mph EF0 ........ with a few walls also down as well.... (this is from the Mayfield tornado)
FIRs5VLUUAEkqlq.jpg
also for the Vilonia tree standing 100 yards away thing.... well here's there so call official EF5 damage image.....

so yes.... i trust more tornadotalk's surveys then nws surveys sadly.

A Guy

Reaction score

Aside from the lack of understanding of vehicle dynamics, some of the cutoffs seem like rather arbitrary guesstimates, which conveniently top out at 165 MPH so you don't have to rate anything violent. Why are tumbled and lofted the same speed? It's definitely harder to loft a heavy object. I'm very sceptical that a tornado with actual peak winds of 165 mph can loft vehicles the 200 metre plus distances we see from really high end tornadoes.

I do think back to an article Chuck Doswell wrote years ago, where he said that he'd "been disturbed for many years that the very same Texas Tech. engineers pushing a revision to the windspeeds of tornadoes at the upper end of the F-scale have consistently denied that automobiles and other motor vehicles become airborne in some tornadoes". Seems like McDonald and Mehta are still at it.

Reaction score
View attachment 28676
Bowling green EF2 rated house apparently... swept clean..... seem to have been a brick house , was not even rated high end EF2 but somewhere at 120-129 mph
they stated debris from other homes hit this.... (well rip joplin, moore and tuscaloosa for there violent ratings then)

View attachment 28677
unsure how the heck a whole frame house having its roof gone = 65 mph EF0 ........ with a few walls also down as well.... (this is from the Mayfield tornado)
View attachment 28678
also for the Vilonia tree standing 100 yards away thing.... well here's there so call official EF5 damage image.....

Well there is one tree that sustained no debarking. We better push that down to a high-end F4/EF4 rating.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
View attachment 28676

View attachment 28677
View attachment 28678

Honestly I think this image of the slabbed and partially swept away brick home being rated low end ef2 is the pinnacle of full blown trash surveys.
1718507222757.png
The logic to justify it is bordering nonsensical, not much else to say there. And yea, the new car DIs make no sense and it’s a head scratcher as to why they added it as there’s too many scenarios that can play out regarding the severity of that kind of damage.

And God forbid ef5s can only exist near costal areas, if that’s actually going to be put forward, then it’s pretty much them saying that ef5s no longer exist. At that point, it would simply be better to remove the category entirely.

Reaction score
View attachment 28676

View attachment 28677
View attachment 28678

NWS Louisville is the one who did the Bowling Green survey and rated that brick house that was mostly swept away a low to mid EF2. Then they turned around and rated a house that had siding and window damage as a low-end EF3.

Reaction score
That one picture above where a house had its roof and most exterior and some interior walls removed and rated EF0 is pathetic. Geez, if that is the case maybe they should start adding negative EF-RATINGS to the scale.

joshoctober16

Reaction score
Well there is one tree that sustained no debarking. We better push that down to a high-end F4/EF4 rating.
note the IF scale kept the tree debarking, and split it into 2
DOD8 = Minor debarking (<60%) due to sandblasting = 180 mph = IF3
DOD9 = Major debarking (>60%) due to sandblasting = 236 mph = IF4+

its to note that that weaker then typical resistance vs typical resistance vs stronger then typical resistance is all the same wind speed for IF scale debarking (DOD8-9)

however DOD0-DOD6 all have different wind speeds for their resistance
DOD7 has the same typical and stronger then typical resistance however Weaker then typical resistance doesn't exist for DOD7.

i have a gut feeling they removed tree debarking because it would mean a lot of 235 mph EF5 tornadoes from trees only each time the debarking is more then 60%.
events like this include some of the Pilger EF4 tornadoes , Vilonia.

except for cars, tree debarking, the 0 or 5 mph rule and the EF5 being in jail of strictness , the rest of the new EF scale is better.

joshoctober16

Reaction score
Honestly I think this image of the slabbed and partially swept away brick home being rated low end ef2 is the pinnacle of full blown trash surveys.
View attachment 28679
The logic to justify it is bordering nonsensical, not much else to say there. And yea, the new car DIs make no sense and it’s a head scratcher as to why they added it as there’s too many scenarios that can play out regarding the severity of that kind of damage.

And God forbid ef5s can only exist near costal areas, if that’s actually going to be put forward, then it’s pretty much them saying that ef5s no longer exist. At that point, it would simply be better to remove the category entirely.

here is the original post

Reaction score
DAY OF THE TWINS - Ten Years Later

June 16th-18th 2014 cemented June 2014 as one of the most insane Junes in recent history. For context, FIVE EF4s. FOUR of these occurred on the same day. TWO of them were on the ground at the same TIME. And ONE LEGENDARY PERSON documented it ALL on video....and more afterward.

Last edited:
Back