• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Reaction score
I think these are the only ones I have from within Jerry City itself (it just sort of clipped the town):

OUPXUzA.png

cMcbhLF.jpeg

There are a bunch of others from that general area though (mostly within a mile or two in either direction):

5Lle3zj.jpeg

OJ4CWrr.jpeg

kP9KPTp.jpeg

eLYednu.jpeg

mmCW8UH.jpeg

H5jGQx9.jpeg

hsMEcFk.jpeg

zDShKxw.jpeg

BSzGrOw.jpeg

fpLISJZ.jpeg

Psg1Rao.jpeg

1FSbg5l.jpeg

0gbjD5t.jpeg

CBARr6N.jpeg

dGe9fBR.jpeg

NocIkFb.jpeg

tHVStiJ.jpeg

nMKFHb5.jpeg
I'm surprised there hasn't been any pictures of the Jerry City bridge

Tanner

Reaction score
I don't have a lot of videos so I'm probably not the best person to ask for that specifically, but I can definitely relate to the pain of having to organize a huge hoard of material lol

For me the most important thing was to be able to quickly sort + find by date, so I landed on this for my main folder:

wh75tMo.png

For outbreaks, each folder then has separate subfolders for individual tornadoes, and I use the outbreak folder itself for more general stuff that isn't attached to a specific tornado. For example, my 5/31/85 folder (the numbering is just to keep them in sequence for my article):

65X6OPx.png

There's more beyond that but it's probably not useful or applicable here. Anyway, I do end up with some folders that only have like one or two photos/videos/newspaper clippings/whatever in them, but I don't really mind because it's way faster and easier to find what I need or sort and save new stuff.
Wow...there really isn't too much content on your computer at all ;)

Reaction score
Just sort of stumbled upon this one. The John Speirs farm west of Miller, SD was known as "one of the finest in the county," at least until July 1, 1928. That afternoon, a large F4 tornado swept across the property and leveled every single structure, sweeping several of them away and throwing heavy machinery up to half a mile. The photos here are quite small and don't offer a lot of detail, but the before and after is rather striking:

john-and-mary-spiers-farm-13-buildings-wiped-out.jpg

Btw, I assume the graphic says July 3 because that's when the photo was taken. The tornado itself occurred on July 1.
Mind if you resend the photo on Imgur?

locomusic01

Reaction score
Mind if you resend the photo on Imgur?
goPo8o6.jpeg

On another random note, here's a car (part of one, anyway) thrown through the roof of a house by the 6/10/58 El Dorado, KS F4:

0hHDL7x.jpeg

The car was located somewhere in this area but I'm not sure exactly where it landed. I found one report that said it traveled a few blocks and another that said half a mile. El Dorado isn't all that big though so I don't think it could've been that far.

mcvwhT7.jpeg

Aaron Rider

Reaction score
goPo8o6.jpeg

On another random note, here's a car (part of one, anyway) thrown through the roof of a house by the 6/10/58 El Dorado, KS F4:

0hHDL7x.jpeg

The car was located somewhere in this area but I'm not sure exactly where it landed. I found one report that said it traveled a few blocks and another that said half a mile. El Dorado isn't all that big though so I don't think it could've been that far.

mcvwhT7.jpeg
I believe Grazulis said this one was an F5

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
So, made a few interesting discoveries. After spending seven and a half hours (literally) sorting my collection of tornado footage, 21% of all videos in the collection are from 2011 alone. Truly was The Year of the Tornado...

Anyways, I was able to identify most of the videos except for four (one in the US, three in other countries). This is the one I'm confident is from the US. I'd like to say this happened in Kansas or Ohio in 2019, but just can't be sure. Anyone recognize this tornado?

edit: Found it. It is indeed May 21, 2019 in Atchison County, KS near Effingham.
28762_961898d790c6dabaa9934a3885cc05c2.png

Last edited:

locomusic01

Reaction score
I believe Grazulis said this one was an F5
Yeah, his description mentions it may have reached F5 intensity but he ultimately rated it F4. I think that's fair. I haven't really seen anything that screams F5, although I also haven't really gone out of my way to look for photos. There's an anchor-bolted home here, but it's post-cleanup:

FEXNq3h.jpeg

A Guy

Reaction score
Another mosaic, this one for the 27/05/1973 Brent/Centreville tornado, which is the earliest path I've identified so far on LandSat, though I haven't been looking that hard. Grazulis has this one being continuous for 65 miles of the offical 135 mile path length. There's about 50 miles of visible path, though cleared land south of Greensboro doesn't show it (the left four tiles are from October 1973), so Grazulis is probably close. I can see a possible one of about 6 miles on the eastern side of the I65, and just maybe one of about 5 offset to the NE after. After that your guess is as good as mine.

centreville1973-png.28763

View attachment Centreville1973.png

I also discovered that you can export polygons rather overlapping small images like I was doing. For some reason, to get a comparable quality the file size is bigger than the equivalent area of individual pictures. I got images that show most of the Atkins-Highland tornado which should reasonably satisfy anyone about its continuity. The images themselves are from the 29th and 30th of April 2008 - the path appeared narrower but with more contrast than earlier dates.

atkinshighland-png.28764

View attachment AtkinsHighland.png

Last edited:

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
What I've seen recommended is a 3 or 4 tier backup. Working copy and backup at home & cloud backup which update daily/ weekly etc. Also a 'doomsday' media backup at a trusted friend or family member's house who you see a few times a year that is at least 25 miles away. Update each visit. Damn near impossible for one event to get all those bur cloud accounts can be hacked and a total=loss home disaster is always possible.
Yeah, been thinking about getting into WORM (write once, read many) media such as LTO tape drives, since, unlike flash media and external HDD's, those can't be overwritten or encrypted by ransomware and all the other crap that goes around these days. Unfortunately LTO drives can be quite pricey, aren't nearly as straightforward to set up as USB media and the tapes themselves aren't quite as rugged as one may think. Sony ODA is another potential option, and the drives use a regular USB interface, but the problem is the format is discontinued. Because of that, the prices are insane - I sure as hell ain't gonna spend $100+ per disc and $2,000+ for a drive.

Looks like using BD-R's is gonna be the best option for me. The drive and discs won't break the bank nearly as much, BD-R's can't be overwritten (but be careful because BD-RW's can) and they hold enough to where I can fit all my archives on three or four discs.

Do a master file system with each entry sorted along lines you might research like intensity, casualties, scouring, debris-tossing distances etc. Makes for easier research and comparison. Nothing is more consternating than knowing something and not being able to find it. The older you get the more it happens when you rely on memory, and should something happen to you, with a master list a survivor can make best use of your data.
Interesting note, I've been contemplating doing something like that. Such would be a massive undertaking and I'd likely need help from at least one person, but it may be an interesting idea to create some kind of web page that is a cross between (the old) YouTube and Grazulis' Significant Tornadoes. Here's a silly mockup I made in Paint:
tornadotube.png
Also, holy crap Windows 95-XP's paint was way better.

Reaction score
More stuff concerning Guin:

Some videos from 2014 or so when various damage pics, most have already been seen but some I haven't or from different angles then before:

More pics from various sources:

This first one with the scoured grass reminds me of similar damage from Niles, OH:
65.png66.png67.png68.png

Colorized versions of 3 pics:

51pZKgUG.jpg

OIwu8By6.jpg

u3HdV9j6.jpg

Maxis_s

Reaction score
More stuff concerning Guin:

Some videos from 2014 or so when various damage pics, most have already been seen but some I haven't or from different angles then before:

More pics from various sources:

This first one with the scoured grass reminds me of similar damage from Niles, OH:
View attachment 28782View attachment 28783View attachment 28784View attachment 28785

Colorized versions of 3 pics:

View attachment 28786

View attachment 28787

View attachment 28788

I've seen rumors of the slabs of a few homes in Guin being completely removed but I've never seen proof of it as far as I've seen. Even Wikipedia states it. Is it true or not?

Reaction score
I've seen rumors of the slabs of a few homes in Guin being completely removed but I've never seen proof of it as far as I've seen. Even Wikipedia states it. Is it true or not?
Obviously no, it isn't possible for a tornado to lift an entire foundation base out of the ground.
What likely happened is that homes were swept away with such source sections of the foundation were either pulled and/or ripped off with the debris. Similar phenomena was observed with Hackleburg and Smithville.

locomusic01

Reaction score
Those sorts of rumors aren't uncommon with high-end tornadoes (especially in the past). It's almost always a product of people looking at where subfloors were blown away and not really understanding what they're seeing. Or occasionally it's like a thin concrete pad that's been cracked and dislodged by a large debris impact or something. It's super rare for actual slab-on-grade foundations to suffer any kind of damage, really.

Reaction score
Obviously no, it isn't possible for a tornado to lift an entire foundation base out of the ground.
What likely happened is that homes were swept away with such source sections of the foundation were either pulled and/or ripped off with the debris. Similar phenomena was observed with Hackleburg and Smithville.
So far the only time that a slab has been confirmed as completely blown away was outside of Bremen from the Mayfield tornado. And that was n't traditional slab on grade, rather slab on CMU stemwall with any anchoring tied into the slab rather than the stemwall foundation, making the slab just a subfloor on that case. Meaning (this is the theory) that the house was picked up in Eli style and pulled the slab with it.

Reaction score
All known footage of the May 6, 1975 Omaha tornado.

Bob Dunn's series of incredible photos. These will never not mesmerize me:
tornado1-big.jpg

5542587c4b48d.image.jpg

BobDunnPhoto.png

55425882aef63.image.jpg

Some random damage shots. Even though the home construction was poor, the contextual damage was impressive.
75-twister-5374dce8a6613-image.jpg

View attachment 28795
5534493ea407d.image.jpg

5eb1b92ecac73.image.jpg

For some reason it's easier to find pics from the 1913 as opposed to the 1975 Omaha tornado, haven't seen lots of these before.

Logo 468x120
Back