• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

buckeye05

Reaction score
Another underrated tornado is the June 12, 2004 Mulvane tornado. It's officially high F3 but I see no reason they shouldn't have gone F4, given a well-anchored frame house was leveled and vehicles were thrown and terribly mangled.
View attachment 14373
View attachment 14374
View attachment 14375
View attachment 14376
View attachment 14378
OK so I actually know the reasoning (if you can call it that) for the F3 rating for Mulvane, and its absurd. Look at the first photo. See the wooden light pole still standing in the background? That is the single factor for why they decided against F4. I wish I was kidding.

buckeye05

Reaction score
While I'd always known Chickasha had caused its fair share of ground scouring, I never knew just HOW much scouring there was; it's literally comparable to Bridge Creek, and that's remarkable.
If you go through the DAT, there's one damage point for some extreme debarking along the Chickasha path, and the comment for that damage point mentions that people on the survey team only saw comparable tree damage when surveying Andover and Bridge Creek. That says a lot imo.

buckeye05

Reaction score
I'd be shocked if it got an EF5 rating today, but it absolutely should. This house is right in the center of the Streak of Doom™ on Lantern Lane in Niles' Shadow Ridge neighborhood, which is about as extreme as contextual damage gets.

aerial-shadow-ridge-development-2.jpg

lantern-lane-shadow-ridge-bill-kaye.jpg

That field in the foreground isn't plowed-up topsoil btw, it's just been scoured to hell. This is almost straight across from the Jameisons' home (the one you posted) and a hundred or so yards downstream. The Trudell family's home was right next to theirs and allegedly part of the concrete slab was broken/pulled up when the home was swept away. Obviously that sounds pretty sketchy, but in any event, the home definitely did not fare well. Lighter debris from these homes was eventually found up to ~190 miles away.

shadow-ridge-info-3.jpg

Speaking of Niles-Wheatland, the ground scouring across Wheatland Flats was pretty wild.

aerial-wheatland-1-greg-forbes.jpg

aerial-wheatland-2-greg-forbes.jpg
That photo with the ground scouring is incredible. Not only is the scouring extremely intense, the contour between the scoured and unscoured grass is incredibly sharp and defined. It also reminds me of the scouring photo from Guin.

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
OK so I actually know the reasoning (if you can call it that) for the F3 rating for Mulvane, and its absurd. Look at the first photo. See the wooden light pole still standing in the background? That is the single factor for why they decided against F4. I wish I was kidding.
Lol, they do realize how narrow that tornado was, don't they?

Reaction score

A lot of the chase accounts of it have been taken down over the years, but it was also one of the most photogenic tornadoes of certainly the year, if not the decade or the entire 21st century to date (perhaps rivaled only by Campo 2010 and Rozel 2013). Some of the best (and best-known, as at least one of them frequently appears on weather calendars to this day) photos of it were taken by the late Eric Nguyen. Fortunately his web site is still preserved.

Reaction score
Reaction score
IMO the Chickasha tornado was at the same intensity as the El Reno tornado from that day or VERY near it.
Not sure if it had enough power to topple a massive oil rig, but other than that it likely was pretty close to El Reno at points.
And of course Goldsby should've been rated EF5.
Yeah, 3 EF5s in Oklahoma on the same day. Crazy. 2011 really was a wild year for tornadoes.

Reaction score
Not sure if it had enough power to topple a massive oil rig, but other than that it likely was pretty close to El Reno at points.
And of course Goldsby should've been rated EF5.
Yeah, 3 EF5s in Oklahoma on the same day. Crazy. 2011 really was a wild year for tornadoes.
I guess it wouldn't be too surprising if the Chickasha tornado had hit an oil rig dead on at its peak intensity it would have rolled it several times.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Probably, no way to know for sure though.
Also, while not EF5 (obviously) Canton Lake should've been rated EF4. That thing was pretty violent too.
Goldsby was also at or very near the intensity as the El Reno tornado that day. Also the Canton Lake tornado from that day should have been rated at least a mid EF4.

Reaction score
Goldsby was also at or very near the intensity as the El Reno tornado that day. Also the Canton Lake tornado from that day should have been rated at least a mid EF4.
This previous post on Goldsby shows a ton of proof of EF5 damage from it:

buckeye05

Reaction score
Well not only that, but wooden poles like that are not good contextual indicators. Sometimes they snap in an EF1, and sometimes they stay standing amidst violent damage. They aren’t reliable, and certainly not enough to bump a rating down that low.

Also, this is a perfect example of contextual “cherry picking”, which is one of the most infuriating tendencies that more conservative surveyors show. They ignored the insane vehicle damage, yet a single pole was enough for a downgrade. Context goes both ways, and using it only to downgrade is going to significantly skew survey results. It doesn’t take a genius or statistics expert to figure that out.

buckeye05

Reaction score
This previous post on Goldsby shows a ton of proof of EF5 damage from it:
Sorry off topic, but Poison Idea and now Choking Victim? You have incredibly good taste in punk music.

Reaction score
Sorry off topic, but Poison Idea and now Choking Victim? You have incredibly good taste in punk music.
Lol yes. I have way too many punk and metal shirts (it's now spilling into my online profile pics for most threads I'm involved with). One of these days I'm gonna post pics of my battle jackets when I finally finish them and use them for my profile pic.
Yeah, I like lots of 80s and 90s hardcore, along with crust, powerviolence, grindcore and related genres. I'm also into thrash & death metal. I'm that rare individual that flits between punks and metalhead guys and gals.
We could take this conversation to the "getting to know our users" thread (or something to that effect) so the mods don't get upset lol.
Anyways, awesome you like my kind of music! I'll try to steer back to the main topic now.

Reaction score
Well not only that, but wooden poles like that are not good contextual indicators. Sometimes they snap in an EF1, and sometimes they stay standing amidst violent damage. They aren’t reliable, and certainly not enough to bump a rating down that low.

Also, this is a perfect example of contextual “cherry picking”, which is one of the most infuriating tendencies that more conservative surveyors show. They ignored the insane vehicle damage, yet a single pole was enough for a downgrade. Context goes both ways, and using it only to downgrade is going to significantly skew survey results. It doesn’t take a genius or statistics expert to figure that out.
Awhile back in this thread, someone posted several pics from different tornadoes (Parkersburg was one and Hodonin, Czechia tornado) where wood and metal poles were still standing amidst F4-F5 damage. Me and some other users surmised that the cylindrical/round shape of poles likely makes the winds just go around them instead of yanking them out of the ground, so poles being left likely isn't a good way of figuring out wind speed levels for some tornadoes.

AngelAndHisWx

Reaction score
Anybody recognize this photo? I totally forgot about it until I started uploading photos for my article. I found it in some random old book and it was labeled as the Grand Valley tornado, but there was no other info on it. It didn't show up in any reverse image searches and I've never seen it anywhere else before.

S6wRsOO.jpg
Oh that’s April 20 1996 in Ontario. I forget which tornado it was (one from the northern cell and one from the southern), but it was one of the two.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Awhile back in this thread, someone posted several pics from different tornadoes (Parkersburg was one and Hodonin, Czechia tornado) where wood and metal poles were still standing amidst F4-F5 damage. Me and some other users surmised that the cylindrical/round shape of poles likely makes the winds just go around them instead of yanking them out of the ground, so poles being left likely isn't a good way of figuring out wind speed levels for some tornadoes.
Exactly. There’s not really any surface area for the wind to “grab” onto.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Oh that’s April 20 1996 in Ontario. I forget which tornado it was (one from the northern cell and one from the southern), but it was one of the two.
Yes! I thought this looked familiar. I lost it, but I once had a book that detailed both of those tornadoes, with personal accounts from people along the paths who were hit by the tornadoes. It was a really good read, and I wish I could remember what it was called and where I left it.

Logo 468x120
Back