• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

buckeye05

Reaction score
Footage of this tornado. There was more than one intense tornado this afternoon In Inner Mongolia and Hebei Province.

What was the town closest to this initial tornado? I know the second one hit Guyuan.

Also stating the obvious, but this has been maybe the most intense Europe/Asia tornado season I can recall, especially in China. I wonder what July and August will bring...

Reaction score
Pretty much everywhere in the world except the place that's SUPPOSED to get them (the Plains/Midwest U.S.) has been getting them this spring/summer (with a few exceptions such as the DuPage Co., IL overnight one earlier this week).
I wonder if stuff like this will become the norm due to climate change and such; guess we'll have to wait for the coming decades to fully see how severe weather patterns will be impacted by it.

pohnpei

Reaction score
What was the town closest to this initial tornado? I know the second one hit Guyuan.

Also stating the obvious, but this has been maybe the most intense Europe/Asia tornado season I can recall, especially in China. I wonder what July and August will bring...
I wonder if stuff like this will become the norm due to climate change and such; guess we'll have to wait for the coming decades to fully see how severe weather patterns will be impacted by it.

Baoying was the closest town to the initial tornado.
This year was weird. What makes It more intriguing is that US still had waaaay more tornado favourable environment than China and EU as far as I noticed.
All these intense tornados this year in China had STP no more than 2-3, some of them much lower than that. It looks more like mesocyclone accidents at some time but these accidents happened over and over again.

In climate view, One thing I know is the precipitation over most places in China have continuely increased since 2012. Some research predicted that the precipitation will continue to increase due to warming. Some anti-desertification have already noticed in Northern Region and some semi-arid and semi-humid areas have become wetter, which may plays a role in the tornado activity in these region. The overall tornado activity in China seems can be a good fit for the precipitation curve over past several decades.

For US, It was very common to see severe drought before the season in Plain in recent years. Some seasons didn't have a drought in Plain like last year was still inactive due to other reasons. I once read a paper said the dryline was shifting east in Plain over the past several decades, corresponding to the "Tornado alley shifting east" paper published in Nature.

I am in my opinion that It was still a year-to-year fluctuation thing in the short term but climate definitely plays a role in the long term. I think Grazulis already had some opinions about this and would be mentioned in his new book.

Reaction score

If it is I have a hard time coming to terms with how abruptly and dramatically the "off switch" came. After all it was only 10 years ago that the insane April of 2011 happened, but even without that the last 5-6 or more years have seen a stark shift away from the kind of lesser, but still very significant outbreaks that seemed to happen about once or twice a year through the 1990s and 2000s.

Marshal79344

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a comprehensive archive of "HistoricalImages" Press Photos? Their site is missing a lot of stuff. I was able to dig up these ones that you couldn't find on the site below:

Aerial of Fremont, MO in 1957

19570521FREMONTAIR2.jpg

Aerial of Rocksprings, TX in 1927

19270412ROCKSPRINGSAERIAL2.jpg

A home after it was hit by the May 10, 1933 Livingston, TN Tornado
19330510BEATTYSWAMPS10.jpg

Hackleburg, AL after the deadly tornado of April 12, 1943

19430412HACKLEBURG2.jpg

Judsonia, AR after it was ravaged by a tornado on March 21st, 1952

19520321JUDSONIAAERIAL.jpg

Damage from an F4 Tornado in Alabama on May 1, 1953

19530501ANNISTON.jpg

Deadly tornado approaching Port Huron, MI on May 21, 1953

19530521MICHIGANTORNADO.jpg

Violent tornado in Conway, AR on April 10, 1965

19650410CONWAYTORNADO3.jpg

Doom making its way towards Primrose, NE on May 8, 1965

19650508PRIMROSETORNADO2.jpg

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Baoying was the closest town to the initial tornado.
This year was weird. What makes It more intriguing is that US still had waaaay more tornado favourable environment than China and EU as far as I noticed.
All these intense tornados this year in China had STP no more than 2-3, some of them much lower than that. It looks more like mesocyclone accidents at some time but these accidents happened over and over again.

In climate view, One thing I know is the precipitation over most places in China have continuely increased since 2012. Some research predicted that the precipitation will continue to increase due to warming. Some anti-desertification have already noticed in Northern Region and some semi-arid and semi-humid areas have become wetter, which may plays a role in the tornado activity in these region. The overall tornado activity in China seems can be a good fit for the precipitation curve over past several decades.

For US, It was very common to see severe drought before the season in Plain in recent years. Some seasons didn't have a drought in Plain like last year was still inactive due to other reasons. I once read a paper said the dryline was shifting east in Plain over the past several decades, corresponding to the "Tornado alley shifting east" paper published in Nature.

I am in my opinion that It was still a year-to-year fluctuation thing in the short term but climate definitely plays a role in the long term. I think Grazulis already had some opinions about this and would be mentioned in his new book.
There is this recent study about the severe weather environments and climate change that shows CAPE is increasing while shear is decreasing
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41612-021-00190-x

pohnpei

Reaction score
There is this recent study about the severe weather environments and climate change that shows CAPE is increasing while shear is decreasing
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41612-021-00190-x
Yes. Another paper last year showed that CAP in Plain was increasing even more rapidly than Cape which plays a prohibitive factor in severe weather. The trends showed every per decade CAP change in OK was especially distinctive.

Last edited:

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Damage from the Czech tornado:
AQ2YahDEQKaJcxOjofB8oA.png

203830371_10219440016100226_5226439886289405985_n.png

206937882_10218886061646877_2725527282199811240_n.png

locomusic01

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a comprehensive archive of "HistoricalImages" Press Photos? Their site is missing a lot of stuff. I was able to dig up these ones that you couldn't find on the site below:
Are you referring to the main archive or the Historic Images outlet? There's a lot of overlap, but last time I checked the outlet included photos that weren't in the main archive. Been a while though, and either way, it's definitely not comprehensive. There are a few aggregators out there as well but I haven't been able to find one that includes all of their past + current photos.

Back