• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I'm already hearing from some sources the Czech Republic tornado was rated F4. While it seems unlikely a rating will have been assigned so soon I would not be surprised at all if we see the first violent European tornado since 2015.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
This has to be a very rare occurrence for the Czech Republic, right? The only modern violent tornadoes in Europe outside of Russia were in Poland, France, and Italy.

Reaction score
This has to be a very rare occurrence for the Czech Republic, right? The only modern violent tornadoes in Europe outside of Russia were in Poland, France, and Italy.
I don't think so, Central Europe is one of the regions outside the United States that gets strong tornadoes on a semi-regular basis.

Check out this PDF below:

Attachments

• Tornadoes within the Czech Republic.pdf
    249.5 KB · Views: 0

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
I'm already hearing from some sources the Czech Republic tornado was rated F4. While it seems unlikely a rating will have been assigned so soon I would not be surprised at all if we see the first violent European tornado since 2015.
The Czech Thunderstorm Research Association did mention it could be an F4.
unknown.png

pohnpei

Reaction score
I don't think so, Central Europe is one of the regions outside the United States that gets strong tornadoes on a semi-regular basis.

Check out this PDF below:
Tornado with intensity like this was exceptionally rare for this place. Many "violent tornados" in Europe in the past were likely overrated. There were only 2 or 3 violent tornados in entire Eu over past two decades which said a lot.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Look at the exterior of that concrete house. Completely pock-marked by flying debris. It must have been a blizzard of high velocity projectiles inside this tornado.

Right now, it's currently listed as an F3 in the European Severe Weather database. We'll see if there's enough for further upgrade in the coming days. Also, here's an article that does a decent job of showing the tornado's path.

Last edited:

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Look at the exterior of that concrete house. Completely pock-marked by flying debris. It must have been a blizzard of high velocity projectiles inside this tornado.

Right now, it's currently listed as an F3 in the European Severe Weather database. We'll see if there's enough for further upgrade in the coming days. Also, here's an article that does a decent job of showing the tornado's path.
Reminds me a lot of the 2012 Tsukuba, Japan tornado. Both storms were likely similar in intensity also.

Reaction score

It's easily some of the most violent damage I've seen to architecture outside of the United States; European buildings are typically built of much heavier and sturdier materials than US ones, so it takes much higher wind speeds to do major damage to European structures. I know that European meteorological boards are usually conservative with tornado rankings, so we'll see what happens with this one.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
It's easily some of the most violent damage I've seen to architecture outside of the United States; European buildings are typically built of much heavier and sturdier materials than US ones, so it takes much higher wind speeds to do major damage to European structures. I know that European meteorological boards are usually conservative with tornado rankings, so we'll see what happens with this one.
Wasn't Hautmont initally rated F3 but later upgraded to (E)F4?

Reaction score
Wasn't Hautmont initally rated F3 but later upgraded to (E)F4?
To quote this article "Some meteorologists believed the tornado deserved an F4 rating, but the ever-conservative French meteorological board gave the tornado an F3 rating."

Scroll down to entry 6

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
To quote this article "Some meteorologists believed the tornado deserved an F4 rating, but the ever-conservative French meteorological board gave the tornado an F3 rating."

Scroll down to entry 6

I also found this PDF where the Hautmont tornado is listed as an EF4:

Attachments

• tornado-rating-in-europe-with-the-enhanced-fujita-scale.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 0

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Aside from Ivanovo (which was likely marginal) I can't think of any. Most official European F5/EF5's definitely didn't reach that intensity.
Yeah, I've given my opinion before about the ones well before the modern era in France/Germany, but most of the modern ones are marginal F5s, if that. The damage pictures I've seen from Lublin (1931) were clearly below F5 strength (even ignoring the likely poor construction). Same for Treviso. If anything, violent tornadoes are probably less common in Central Europe than most official statistics suggest, imo.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score

210625052220-01-czech-republic-tornado-exlarge-169.jpg

Last edited:
Back