• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

buckeye05

Reaction score
This video shows the Czech tornado in its mature phase at 1:45. This thing was HUGE and definitely violent. Honestly, no exaggeration it looks like Moore 2013 during its stovepipe phase.

DEFINITELY check out the damage video sequence starting at 12:17
This really shows the true violence of this tornado. Looks like there may have been significant ground scouring too. I'm having difficulty thinking of any other European tornadoes in relative recent memory that produced this type of damage. Maybe Hautemont?

Last edited:

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
DEFINITELY check out the damage video sequence starting at 12:17
This really shows the true violence of this tornado. Looks like there may have been significant ground scouring too. I'm having difficulty thinking of any other European tornadoes in relative recent memory that produced this type of damage. Maybe Hautemont?
image0.jpg

This photograph might have some ground scouring in it. Also nearby buildings appear to be plastered in mud.

Reaction score
It reminds me of Moore 2003 when it struck the GM motor plant:

View attachment 9957

Probably the least remembered Moore violent tornado of the last 25 years. No fatalities (F4 damage was confined to a small area, not within the city of Moore) and this seems to be one of the few clear images of it. Most chasers were in Kansas that day and for those who were in central Oklahoma, they had all the challenges of chasing within the OKC metro which were already getting pretty bad by then.

buckeye05

Reaction score
According to wikipedia, farm fields were scoured as the tornado moved through rural areas. I'll have to check their sources and see what I can find.

Aerial photos definitely show scouring of crops (pic below)

What I’m more interested is what appears to be severe scouring of grass in that industrial area shown in the video I shared. I’m fairly certain that’s what we’re looking at but I’m not 100% sure. I’ve just never seen actual grass scouring documented in Europe before.91535173-68C1-4421-B5EF-CD6FFDA8DAC1.jpeg

Reaction score
Aerial photos definitely show scouring of crops (pic below)

What I’m more interested is what appears to be severe scouring of grass in that industrial area shown in the video I shared. I’m fairly certain that’s what we’re looking at but I’m not 100% sure. I’ve just never seen actual grass scouring documented in Europe before.View attachment 9958
Did Hautmont not cause severe scouring of this sort?
I seem to remember an aerial from a violent tornado in Italy where there may have been similar scouring of either grass or topsoil but for whatever reason can't seem to find it now.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Did Hautmont not cause severe scouring of this sort?
I seem to remember an aerial from a violent tornado in Italy where there may have been similar scouring of either grass or topsoil but for whatever reason can't seem to find it now.
I wasn't clear at all, but was more comparing tree and structural damage. The 2015 Mira, Italy tornado did scour crops in farm fields, but not grass as far as I know. Not sure if that's the one you were thinking of though.

Last edited:

buckeye05

Reaction score
Well, I just found some pretty unique and incredible damage that occurred in that industrial section of Lužice. It appears that the tornado scoured away a brick/cobblestone paved parking area, if I'm interpreting this correctly. Could this also be from a debris impact?
GjoVFtb.png

Full video here:

Last edited:

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Well, I just found some pretty unique and incredible damage that occurred in that industrial section of Lužice. It appears that the tornado scoured away a brick/cobblestone paved parking area, if I'm interpreting this correctly. Could this also be from a debris impact?
GjoVFtb.png

Full video here:

That is interesting. Also I checked Google Street view at that lot where the possible grass scouring occurred and it was covered with grass before, so it really might be actual grass scouring.

pohnpei

Reaction score
Dug around and put together the most intense damage images from the Czech tornado that I could find. It actually seems that this tornado reached peak intensity while it was in its narrow/drill bit phase in Lužice and Hodonín.
View attachment 9960
View attachment 9961
JFSwbDc0Q-H0vSHAoJ7RNg~Jedna-z-najviac-zasiahnut-ch-obc-Lu-ice.jpg

AQ2YahDEQKaJcxOjofB8oA~Jedna-z-najviac-zasiahnut-ch-obc-Lu-ice.jpg

U_qm5aldR6vo-8l0zT9zSg~Poh-ad-na-ulice-jednej-z-najviac-zasiahnut-ch-obc-Lu-ice.jpg

owCejLNkQ8CEE2gcGUqvew~Jedna-z-najviac-zasiahnut-ch-obc-Lu-ice.jpg

T9rng3n2QCrtEJq4N6tHiw~Jedna-z-najviac-zasiahnut-ch-obc-Lu-ice.jpg
View attachment 9962

Also, the formation of the tornado:

More videos:

Definitely the strongest tornado this year so far in my mind. The level of vehicle damage and scouring like this was no less than any tornado in Europe in the past.

buckeye05

Reaction score
From the Hodonin F4:

That is hands down, the most severe damage to vegetation I've ever seen in Europe. According to the translated version of the above text, this is a photo of the area where the Hodonin tornado reached peak intensity. Surveyors documented multiple stands of trees that were completely debarked.

Back