• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe Weather Threat 5.22-5.24.24

Reaction score
Hmm. 9:45 am and tornado warnings in northern IL.

Looks like SPC came around to my (and the HRRR from yesterday's) thinking with the 13Z update, knocking the 5% tornado contour down to the WI/IL state line and points south. We may still get recovery and a severe afternoon round, but it''d be a long shot for the OFB to mix this far north after this complex goes through. It has happened, though, notably August 18th, 2005 which is still Wisconsin's state-record tornado outbreak.

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Lol

That's all I'm going to say about this constant underrating of tornadoes with radar data, including radar data very close to the ground.

Last edited:

slenker

Reaction score
Lol

That's all I'm going to say about this constant underrating of tornadoes with radar data, included radar data very close to the ground.
The low-level vegetation is completely debarked, stubbed, and destroyed. Not even a blade of grass remains, and it’s an extremely wide area where this occurred. It’s also extremely consistent; probably a result of its slow forward speed. Combined with radar data, I feel like I can confidently say this reached EF5 intensity. It definitely won’t be rated that or probably not even HE EF4 though, because of the contingencies of the scale.

Back