• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe Weather Threat 5.22-5.24.24

OHWX97

Reaction score
Thank GOD it didn't hit anything other than trees. Absolutely absurd tornado.
Except it did cause structural damage.

Maxis_s

Reaction score
Except it did cause structural damage.
Dangit... Hope it wasn't damaged too badly.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
The DOW measurements of these tornadoes this year almost all have recorded winds in excess of 200mph.

Really is doing nothing but driving home the fact that tornadoes in general are underestimated to kingdom come.

Of course this isn’t bashing the ef scale despite its flaws, just merely pointing out that the original scale had a much more accurate grasp on tornadic wind speeds.

Maxis_s

Reaction score
The DOW measurements of these tornadoes this year almost all have recorded winds in excess of 200mph.

Really is doing nothing but driving home the fact that tornadoes in general are underestimated to kingdom come.

Of course this isn’t bashing the ef scale despite its flaws, just merely pointing out that the original scale had a much more accurate grasp on tornadic wind speeds.

To be fair, the tornadoes that were scanned by DOW this year were MUCH stronger than your average tornado, and definitely had a distinct presentation on radar.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
To be fair, the tornadoes that were scanned by DOW this year were MUCH stronger than your average tornado, and definitely had a distinct presentation on radar.
Not really, most of the tornadoes were rated ef3 or lower, not exactly uncommon.

This year has been exceptional in terms of luck and placement of DOW, so it looks like every tornado was extremely strong.

Though it’s becoming apparent that in reality, 200+mph winds occur in tornadoes far more often than thought.

Tanner

Reaction score
Not really, most of the tornadoes were rated ef3 or lower, not exactly uncommon.

This year has been exceptional in terms of luck and placement of DOW, so it looks like every tornado was extremely strong.
No. Every tornado sampled had winds capable of EF3 or greater. It doesn't take a human to determine that.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
No. Every tornado sampled had winds capable of EF3 or greater. It doesn't take a human to determine that.
That’s why I said rated, my point is that tornadoes in general regardless of being rated Ef1 or higher all likely contained wind speeds greater than 200mph at one point.

If we had DOW present with every tornado that touch down I bet my bottom dollar this is true.

Maxis_s

Reaction score
Here's a loop of the RAXPOL data. I've been refraining from bringing up the comparison, but the similarities to El Reno 2013 are getting hard to ignore.

Man, THIS is the tornado of the year. Maybe not in terms of impacts, but from a storm chasing perspective? Absolutely.
EDIT: Wait, both DOW6 and RAXPOL were on it? Good lord, the data we're gonna get out of this...

Back