• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe Weather Threat 5.22-5.24.24

Maxis_s

Reaction score
Possibly hot take, mostly regarding the recent OK tornado, but I don't think tornadoes should be rated EF5 solely on contextual damage and no structural damage unless the structural damage is impressive in itself (EF4, maybe lower bound but with more extreme, smaller scale feats like debris granulation and/or damage to anchor bolts?) or the contextual damage is extremely upper echelon (Jarrell and Philadelphia's ground scouring come to mind)
At most, if they have extreme tree debarking and severe ground scouring, they should be rated EF4 at most, perhaps high-end. I still feel like EF5 should be reserved for tornadoes that cause at least enough structural damage combined with sufficient (or more than sufficient) contextual damage. Probably not the right thread to post this, but just food for thought.

slenker

Reaction score
Possibly hot take, mostly regarding the recent OK tornado, but I don't think tornadoes should be rated EF5 solely on contextual damage and no structural damage unless the structural damage is impressive in itself (EF4, maybe lower bound but with more extreme, smaller scale feats like debris granulation and/or damage to anchor bolts?) or the contextual damage is extremely upper echelon (Jarrell and Philadelphia's ground scouring come to mind)
At most, if they have extreme tree debarking and severe ground scouring, they should be rated EF4 at most, perhaps high-end. I still feel like EF5 should be reserved for tornadoes that cause at least enough structural damage combined with sufficient (or more than sufficient) contextual damage. Probably not the right thread to post this, but just food for thought.
I definitely agree, and that’s why I don’t think it will be rated as such. However, I’m still super impressed with the low-lying shrubbery being damaged to the degree that it was, you only see that in HE EF4 or EF5 rated tornadoes.

Edit: The only examples deserving of an EF5 rating based solely on scouring would be Jarrell, Smithville and Philadelphia, in my eyes.

Maxis_s

Reaction score
I definitely agree, and that’s why I don’t think it will be rated as such. However, I’m still super impressed with the low-lying shrubbery being damaged to the degree that it was, you only see that in HE EF4 or EF5 rated tornadoes.
Yeah, I think it should probably be rated an EF4. Many tornadoes have had ground scouring and tree damage rated as EF4, so this one should be no exception IMO.

Reaction score
I've got a google doc going listing all the ef4 tornadoes since 2019 and i’ve got matador and now sterling county Texas as unofficial low end ef4’s at least. Just because of how insanely obvious it is that they should have been rated violent.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Don't really see anything on CC and appears to be north of town, not sure why they went TORE on that; nasty couplet and constructive merger notwithstanding

Maxis_s

Reaction score
There's no clear TDS on this.
...is this another case of April 15th 2022?
Yeah I think I'm right about this one. I can't find a picture anywhere of this. NWS says spotter confirmed so maybe it's a false report?
It's probably on the ground but I don't think it's a strong tornado by any means.

Back