• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe Weather Threat 5.22-5.24.24

jiharris0220

Reaction score
I take back what I said about the sterling tx tornado being mid range ef4, upon closer inspection through numerous photos of the survey, I have no doubt in my mind this was en ef5; I don’t say these things willy nilly either.

Mesquite trees in some of these were actually completely debarked, some photos look like a galactic laser atomized the area. This scouring combined with tree damage puts this thing on par with matador, 2013 Moore, and Chickasaw to name a few.

Keep in mind there’s no debris loading that could’ve enhanced the scoring or debarking, I don’t even want to imagine this hitting a town.

Attachments

• IMG_0338.jpeg
    IMG_0338.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0339.jpeg
    IMG_0339.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0340.jpeg
    IMG_0340.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0341.jpeg
    IMG_0341.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0342.jpeg
    IMG_0342.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0343.jpeg
    IMG_0343.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0345.jpeg
    IMG_0345.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0346.jpeg
    IMG_0346.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0347.jpeg
    IMG_0347.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0348.jpeg
    IMG_0348.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0

slenker

Reaction score
I take back what I said about the sterling tx tornado being mid range ef4, upon closer inspection through numerous photos of the survey, I have no doubt in my mind this was en ef5; I don’t say these things willy nilly either.

Mesquite trees in some of these were actually completely debarked, some photos look like a galactic laser atomized the area. This scouring combined with tree damage puts this thing on par with matador, 2013 Moore, and Chickasaw to name a few.
That shrub damage is unbelievably extreme, I’ve never seen anything quite like that in anything remotely recent

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

Keep in mind there’s no debris loading that could’ve enhanced the scoring or debarking, I don’t even want to imagine this hitting a town.
"LoW eNd Ef3"
1osekd.jpg

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yeah, west tx surveys once again showing incompetence. The day 140mph winds can cause this level of damage will be the day hell freezes over.

They’re the only ones who don’t rate tree damage ef4, not sure why that is.
Like Matador, this is another one of those cases where the main problem isn't even that it didn't get rated EF5, but that it's a blatantly violent tornado rated below the violent threshold. I mean c'mon, even Matador AT LEAST got rated high-end EF3 (which is still too low, but you get the point).

Not the first time this has happened with ridiculously violent tornadoes though, and not even the first time it's happened in Texas. I'm sure many on this forum recall the "low end EF3" that leveled homes and threw vehicles and heavy farm equipment more than a mile near Cisco, TX in 2015.

Unrelated, and dare I say this, but I feel like we'd get along well if we casually ran into each other at a diner somewhere.

Reaction score

@jiharris0220 I’m not so sure that these images show such pronounced scouring. In the background the condition of the soil looks to be similar, but the extent of defoliation gives the illusion of scouring. In this case mainly shrubbery and mesquite has been stripped bare, not the actual soil. At least in cases like Matador, Moore, Chickasha, Loyal Valley, and Bakersfield one could see a clear(er) contrast between grassy and scoured surfaces. In this case such a contrast seems less evident. I don’t doubt that this event was capable of stronger damage than officially rated, but I’m not so sure that it belongs on the same level as the other events. Also, in this case there isn’t so much debarking or uprooting, at least not to the same degree.

locomusic01

Reaction score
Lol

That's all I'm going to say about this constant underrating of tornadoes with radar data, including radar data very close to the ground.
Heaven forbid we violate the sanctity of the historical record, which is famously known for its accuracy and consistency. Wouldn't want to introduce any new variables, y'know.

rushdude

Reaction score
Storms been rolling in here in north-central TX. Been some suspect rotation too

Edit:
Hopefully it won't amount to much but storms on radar showing.. slight hook?

Last edited:

slenker

Reaction score
@jiharris0220 I’m not so sure that these images show such pronounced scouring. In the background the condition of the soil looks to be similar, but the extent of defoliation gives the illusion of scouring. In this case mainly shrubbery and mesquite has been stripped bare, not the actual soil. At least in cases like Matador, Moore, Chickasha, Loyal Valley, and Bakersfield one could see a clear(er) contrast between grassy and scoured surfaces. In this case such a contrast seems less evident. I don’t doubt that this event was capable of stronger damage than officially rated, but I’m not so sure that it belongs on the same level as the other events. Also, in this case there isn’t so much debarking or uprooting, at least not to the same degree.
I’m fairly certain in picture 10/13 it shows grassy landscapes in the distance, giving a clear indication of where the ground scouring begins. I’d be hard-pressed to believe that isn’t actual scouring due to the intensity of the shrubbery debarking there. Still, regardless of what it is rated, it still fits the bill for a violent tornado rather easily imo. I don’t think it’ll be rated accordingly - and I honestly wouldn’t be that upset about it. The scale strictly defines rating a tornado based on structural damage it inflicts, which is an annoying and flawed way to do it, but it is objectively how they rate things.

Back