• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe Weather Threat 5.22-5.24.24

TornadoFan17

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
What happened on that date? I don't remember.
TORE was issued for a TOR near Jonesboro, Arkansas. A "spotter in the area" (later confirmed to have not even been in the same state) called it in.

As far as I know, the thing never actually touched the ground and produced damage.

Reaction score
*Sigh.* I fear the Tornado Emergency has become another "enhanced wording" product that was great in theory but has become meaningless due to misuse by different offices. Some by using it in cases where it clearly wasn't warranted, and others where it was issued too late to make any difference (Mayfield, and a couple others with that same tornado).

Maxis_s

Reaction score
This reminds me of when NWS Norman justified their reasoning for not issuing a TOR-E for Barnesville right away, and then the next day Michigan just has a random TOR-E.
We didn't have one for Greenfield at all, but we have a random one for this random tornado in Texas, on a 2% day.

TornadoFan17

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
*Sigh.* I fear the Tornado Emergency has become another "enhanced wording" product that was great in theory but has become meaningless due to misuse by different offices. Some by using it in cases where it clearly wasn't warranted, and others where it was issued too late to make any difference (Mayfield, and a couple others with that same tornado).
Greenfield didn't get a TORE either, which I think is inexcusable. It had a debris ball the size of the town before it even entered the town.

cg9450

Reaction score
This reminds me of when NWS Norman justified their reasoning for not issuing a TOR-E for Barnesville right away, and then the next day Michigan just has a random TOR-E.
We didn't have one for Greenfield at all, but we have a random one for this random tornado in Texas, on a 2% day.
Yeah, really not a good tool when it’s consistently used or not at all when there’s massive tornadoes on the ground.

Maxis_s

Reaction score
Yeah, unfortunately. They should be much more strict but also reasonable enough with it, and in other cases much more lenient with it. They have to strike a balance between both extreme ends of the same coin, and considering how bad the communication and consistency between offices are, that'll never happen.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
Yea, the wording has lost its urgency, doesn’t feel any different than a pds.

This is what happens when you don’t follow set warning criteria and just follow where the heart takes ya.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Honestly without nationwide standardization for issuance criterion, it's a pretty useless product; clearly violent tornadoes approaching a town not receiving one for whatever reason but other offices doing... this, it's not a great look.

TornadoFan17

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yea, the wording has lost its urgency, doesn’t feel any different than a pds.

This is what happens when you don’t follow set warning criteria and just follow where the heart takes ya.
There is too much ambiguity on when to use it, and that causes the misuse of it.

Back