• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX Severe Weather Event April 13-14, 2019

Jpgood20

Reaction score
Yes, little brother attends Troy Universty. Says campus is fine. They were all asleep and didn’t know there was a severe threat

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KM4JKH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
For North GA... not sure I how much I want to read into this.... Decent looking line of discrete cells at 22z, in the same area as a spike in the STP.

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
45AC4DFC-1232-49A9-A465-FF78935A72D4.png5ADFBAC7-3072-4C3F-91C4-4BED77571C1F.pngC16FFF8B-6150-4A35-98A1-2412F29F63E8.png246EAAB6-05C4-4E8F-8BF7-A3BFC9377B84.png

MattW

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KG4GUF
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Rotation near Upatoi heading toward Talbotton, GA starting to tighten up.

andyhb

Reaction score
Looks like the death toll in Monroe County has been revised down to one after five reported earlier. Better news than last night.

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Hamilton is south of Smithville. That tornado did considerable damage but it looks like there was only one fatality, One is too many, but I feared much worse from the info I was getting last night, The same tornado went just east of Smithville. I sent my 80 year old mom up to the community storm shelter at the gym they built after 2011. Just too close for me last night. The gym they built after the F5 was a fantastic idea. It will withstand winds up to 300 mph. It gives folks like my mother a place to go and shelter. I will try post some information about it later if you guys are interested.

Here is the twitter page of one of the Columbus television meterology crew with some photos at the scene in Hamilton. Looks to be at least F3 to the untrained eye.

Jacob Dickey WCBI

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Hamilton is south of Smithville. That tornado did considerable damage but it looks like there was only one fatality, One is too many, but I feared much worse from the info I was getting last night, The same tornado went just east of Smithville. I sent my 80 year old mom up to the community storm shelter at the gym they built after 2011. Just too close for me last night. The gym they built after the F5 was a fantastic idea. It will withstand winds up to 300 mph. It gives folks like my mother a place to go and shelter. I will try post some information about it later if you guys are interested.

Here is the twitter page of one of the Columbus television meterology crew with some photos at the scene in Hamilton. Looks to be at least F3 to the untrained eye.

Jacob Dickey WCBI

Thanks for letting us know and I’m so thankful your Mama and others in that area have somewhere safe to go.
So many (but not enough) communities built shelters after 2011, thank God!!
They tornado was a monster on radar, not surprised at all the damage!!

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
With the exception of the one home with only those couple of interior rooms left standing, and another that appears destroyed but the garage is still intact, damage appears to be relatively mild compared to the ridiculous radar presentation from the photos and videos I've seen this morning. Still a lot of damage and injuries, but I doubt they're going to find much close to EF4 level DI's even though it was clearly capable. I'm hearing the death was from a tree falling through an elderly man's house, which can happen in any intensity tornado; the lowered death toll is further confidence that maybe the tornado wasn't as intense as it appeared when it struck structures. But that's for the survey team to decide.

Last edited:

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Multiple tornado warnings in southern GA for what it's worth... also on the NC/VA line

Argus

Reaction score
Right now, the last storm cell is already across 441 north of 85. Just clouds at the moment. No pouring rain from this event, except for what happened at 630 AM this morning.

Back