• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Severe Weather 2023

Tennie

Reaction score
So, I just came across this recent comment over on the AmericanWX forum, which shows a fairly strong forecast signal for a sudden stratospheric warming (SSW) event in mid-February this year, which could lead to a colder spring and thus a dampened chance for severe weather over that time period. We'll just have to wait and see how things actually end up playing out, though. I figured it was something at least worth sharing here.

JPWX

Reaction score
By no means am I a SSW expert, but we had snow down here in Smithville, MS on March 11th through 12th last year. March 2022 ended being fairly active for tornadoes in MS with 73 tornadoes. March 2022 had 5 Enhanced Risks and 3 Moderate Risks overall. April 2022 had 6 Enhanced Risks and 3 Moderate Risks overall. In fact, 3 of the Top 10 tornado days in 2022 were in March. So while it might hinder severe weather potential for a time, it definitely won't shut down the entire season. We did have a SSW event in late March 2011.

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
So, I just came across this recent comment over on the AmericanWX forum, which shows a fairly strong forecast signal for a sudden stratospheric warming (SSW) event in mid-February this year, which could lead to a colder spring and thus a dampened chance for severe weather over that time period. We'll just have to wait and see how things actually end up playing out, though. I figured it was something at least worth sharing here.
Also a ssw event can go other way as spike the nao. So even more positive …. Ssw events never guarantee colder weather for our area

Reaction score
Yeah...Dixie always seems to get its winter/early spring severe weather regardless.

It's the Plains/Midwest chase season that often gets shut down by late winter SSWEs... :(

Obviously no two setups are exactly the same but what seems to happen at least in years like 2014 and 2018 is the cold air stays entrenched over the Great Lakes well into May. Then even in the case that a trough does try to dig into the West, any lee cyclones that spin up can't progress east and lift the warm sector up into the region. Instead they just kind pinch off/"shear out" and the cold air crashes back in.

Last edited:

KevinH

Reaction score

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yeah.. I am not surprised SMH

@Lake Martin EF4 made a thread that ALL events for the rest of the month:

Thank you, but I’m going to keep talk for next week’s potential in this thread. I hope the moderators or Lake Martin EF4 will retitle that thread to dedicate to Wed/Thursday’s threat.

Back