• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Severe Weather 2023

Reaction score
Thank you, but I’m going to keep talk for next week’s potential in this thread. I hope the moderators or Lake Martin EF4 will retitle that thread to dedicate to Wed/Thursday’s threat.
The thread will remain as is. It's titled that way as the implication was that Wednesday into next week would have mostly continuous severe threats.

JBishopwx

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Thank you, but I’m going to keep talk about next week’s potential in this thread. I hope the moderators or Lake Martin EF4 will retitle that thread to dedicate to Wed/Thursday’s threat.
Agree, because there will be a lot of post-event chatter for the 15-17 timeframe if it turns out a big event. Don't need two events crossing over. The last thing you want to do is have confliting information for anyone trying to get weather information.

Last edited:

DetectiveWX

Reaction score
Even if next week's system doesn't pan out the way it projected, I still suspect this spring could be nasty in Dixie, especially if we we flip into a Nino... 1932, 1957, 1974, 1998, 2008 and 2020 stick out with the balmy winter like we're currently going through.

JPWX

Reaction score
Even if next week's system doesn't pan out the way it projected, I still suspect this spring could be nasty in Dixie, especially if we we flip into a Nino... 1932, 1957, 1974, 1998, 2008 and 2020 stick out with the balmy winter like we're currently going through.
It's interesting you bring up 98 because it was a year where the Western Pacific had nothing form in the month of February. Plus the Western Pacific went 212 days until their first typhoon that year. The highest ever going back to 1950. Mississippi had 564 tornadoes that Spring. 1998 had a Modoki (Central Pacific based) La Nina that transitioned to El Nino.

KevinH

Reaction score
Thank you, but I’m going to keep talk for next week’s potential in this thread. I hope the moderators or Lake Martin EF4 will retitle that thread to dedicate to Wed/Thursday’s threat.
I said the same thing. IF Feb is going to be this active with several events, each event should have its OWN thread. Having a “one thread fits all” events is going to be confusing as hell and breed ambiguity when the you know what hits the fan in the coming weeks. From what I have seen in the past, event/outbreak threads have ended up with PAGES AND PAGES of comments. Multiply that by how many future events there could be for the rest of the month.

We have had a separate thread for each event as long as I have been in this forum and it has worked WELL. IJS

KevinH

Reaction score
The thread will remain as is. It's titled that way as the implication was that Wednesday into next week would have mostly continuous severe threats.
If Feb IS going to be active, the titling of the thread in question will likely cause more confusion than it is worth before the month is over. I have never seen a thread for an entire two weeks before. We have always (from what I have seen) had a separate thread (which can have PAGES AND PAGES of comments) for each event, even if they are close together.

Watch, the title of the thread in question is very likely going to backfire. No shade…. ijs. It would be nice to have a MOD/ADMIN weigh in before these events start.

Last edited:

DetectiveWX

Reaction score
It's interesting you bring up 98 because it was a year where the Western Pacific had nothing form in the month of February. Plus the Western Pacific went 212 days until their first typhoon that year. The highest ever going back to 1950. Mississippi had 564 tornadoes that Spring. 1998 had a Modoki (Central Pacific based) La Nina that transitioned to El Nino.
'98 was super nino transitioning to major Nina.

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
'98 was super nino transitioning to major Nina.
The day Oak Grove was hit in Alabama. I watched biggest and most perfect formed supercell come over Oktibbeha County near Starkville and head in that direction I don't think it was the same storm, but it was part of the same complex

Last edited:

KevinH

Reaction score
The bee Oak Grove was hit in Alabama. I watched biggest and most perfect formed supercell come over Oktibbeha County near Starkville and head in that direction I don't think it was the same storm, but it was part of the same complex
I’m sorry, but how do you pronounce Oktibbeha?

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
How dare you insult the cinematic masterpiece that is Twister
Barack Obama Applause GIF by Obama

But it is baaaaaaad I have to continue to watch it.

Back