• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe Weather 2023

Reaction score
mucape.us_sc.png

Next Friday.....Cinco De Mayo......is looking pretty juicy on the GFS.

Wind Driven Coconut

Reaction score
A bit of an ‘edge of the knife’ forecast for Florida overnight tonight. A second round of storms is forecast to develop and cross the peninsula overnight. Depending on air mass recovery we could see anything from just rain to significant tornadoes per the most recent SPC forecast. Could be a long night down here.

Tanner

Reaction score
Quite surprised looking at the trends in the long-range for severe weather. Nothing really screams impressive for any severe weather events. We all thought April was going to be nuts, but it turned out to be just the opposite actually. We haven't really had an active May at all since 2019, and trends are favoring a less active month this year. Strange spring so far.

ColdFront

Reaction score
Quite surprised looking at the trends in the long-range for severe weather. Nothing really screams impressive for any severe weather events. We all thought April was going to be nuts, but it turned out to be just the opposite actually. We haven't really had an active May at all since 2019, and trends are favoring a less active month this year. Strange spring so far.
Agreed.

There’s some possible plains set ups around Mid-May but it doesn’t look that promising right now which can change. I think Dixie may be in the clear minus a major system coming through in May which isn’t modeled.

I really believe our zenith months for this year was January through March and then the event of the year on March 31st.

We had “some” signals for a possible Dixie event on the 27th but it was more gulf focused. Outside of the Oklahoma surprise a while back, that “lull” we thought would
Last two weeks ended up lasting a month lol.

Last edited:

Tanner

Reaction score
Agreed.

There’s some possible plains set ups around Mid-May but it doesn’t look that promising right now which can change. I think Dixie may be in the clear minus a major system coming through in May which isn’t modeled.

I really believe our zenith months for this year was January through March and then the event of the year on March 31st.

We had “some” signals for a possible Dixie event on the 27th but it was more gulf focused. Outside of the Oklahoma surprise a while back, that “lull” we thought would
Last two weeks ended up lasting a month lol.
While a slow peak season seems good and all for all intensive reasons, I'm pretty frustrated admittedly because I really wanted to follow through with my chasecation around mid-late May. But it's not worth the gas money if I'm only chasing blue skies.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The GFS is picking up on a tornado threat developing in Oklahoma (roughly the same areas as the April 19 outbreak) in its Thu 21z-Fri 00z run. A more conditional but still noteworthy threat for tornadoes could also develop in the Wichita area. This is within the timeframe the SPC is eyeing in its D5 outlook, but predictability remains low.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
What on earth is it with all these marginal setups producing significant tornadoes lately? Two EF2's in Florida (Hosford and Palm Beach) came out of 5% tornado areas and now a significant Virginia tornado comes out of a 2% area. Meanwhile, two nearly successive 10% hatched tornado areas in Texas have produced monstrous hailers and incredibly intimidating supercells w/ intense mesocyclones, but failed to put down tornadoes for more than a couple minutes at a time. I guess if anyone needed a reminder that predicting the weather is an imperfect science, there you go.

Reaction score
What on earth is it with all these marginal setups producing significant tornadoes lately? Two EF2's in Florida (Hosford and Palm Beach) came out of 5% tornado areas and now a significant Virginia tornado comes out of a 2% area. Meanwhile, two nearly successive 10% hatched tornado areas in Texas have produced monstrous hailers and incredibly intimidating supercells w/ intense mesocyclones, but failed to put down tornadoes for more than a couple minutes at a time. I guess if anyone needed a reminder that predicting the weather is an imperfect science, there you go.

To be fair, Friday's event in TX was a 5% on the tornado probability, but I was surprised the storms of the day on both Wednesday and Friday didn't produce something more substantial in that department.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
To be fair, Friday's event in TX was a 5% on the tornado probability, but I was surprised the storms of the day on both Wednesday and Friday didn't produce something more substantial in that department.
You're correct. I know April 26 was a 10% hatched area for tornadoes and that's what I was thinking of. Still, genuinely perplexed that the aforementioned setups in Texas (including Friday's cell complete w/ a velocity signature that screamed "VIOLENT TORNADO") barely managed to put anything down, yet Thursday's marginal setup in Florida, yesterday's Palm Beach surprise and now today's marginal setup in eastern Virginia didn't hesitate to drop significant tornadoes.

Back