Logo 468x120

Severe Weather 2023

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Huh, that next week potential threat could be the real deal. Climatology wise the deep south is in a sweet spot.

Wee bit in voodoo land, but looks pretty potent.

ColdFront

Reaction score
Since the “cap” is more applicable as the severe wx season shifts, this sounding absolutely
Blew my mind from DVN on June 18 2009 that I found from a post on storm track.

Supercell Composite of almost 60 and 7000 k/j of cape, but with meager shear. Want to know the result? Cap bust with one lone nocturnal supercell over Wisconsin lol.
1681921052587.gif

ColdFront

Reaction score
GFS 12z run has backed off on the threat for next week (26th-30th) and keeps everything localized in Texas.

Same thing with the 6z run. Still nothing on the horizon that screams “potent set up”, outside of the very conditional based set ups today and tomorrow.

It Does back up some of the year analogs Trey had. Highly active early months, a big outbreak in the Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Missouri region, and a couple of plains set ups in May and June.

Last edited:

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Since the “cap” is more applicable as the severe wx season shifts, this sounding absolutely
Blew my mind from DVN on June 18 2009 that I found from a post on storm track.

Supercell Composite of almost 60 and 7000 k/j of cape, but with meager shear. Want to know the result? Cap bust with one lone nocturnal supercell over Wisconsin lol.
View attachment 20008
Fairly easy to see why this cap busted too. Lack of depth to the moist layer (and substantially lower MLCAPE than SBCAPE) as a result of a lack of lift and mixing. The cap did not lift or get mixed out. Difficult to get CI when there's still -111 J/kg MLCIN hanging around. Convective temperature there is 98 degrees, and 85 isn't even close to that.

500_090619_00.gif

Anticyclonic curvature aloft generally dominates the flow here, which is not conducive to large scale ascent that would lift/erode the cap.

rushdude

Reaction score
What are overall thoughts for tomorrow and Wednesday? SPC saying a slight risk for here in TX both days

JBishopwx

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

Attachments

• SPC.jpg
    SPC.jpg
    552.4 KB · Views: 0
  • SPC2.jpg
    SPC2.jpg
    507.7 KB · Views: 0