• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

This severe weather season will be?

• Much Above Average

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Above Average

Votes: 26 60.5%
  • Average

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • Below Average

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Much Below Average

Votes: 2 4.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I have a (non-Laura-related) severe thunderstorm warning too, so I feel like part of the club. Laura is visiting tomorrow.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Flash flood warning here with more storms on the way and Laura still to come tomorrow...

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
35489601-1.gif

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
I took a couple of photos as the storm rolled into Guntersville from Arab.. due to the size, I decided to upload this one.

DSC_0079.JPG

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Why is there no tornado warning on the storm in southern Madison County?
It had long lived rotation but remained broad since going past Cullman. Usually NWS HUN hands out tor warnings for rotating storms like candy but I guess they saw something that indicated it wasn't tornadic, perhaps weather spotter reports or the weakness of the velocity. The center of rotation came within less than 1 mile of my house and while visibility was very limited, I didn't see any ominous inflow winds or anything. Still kinda surprised given the rotation it wasn't warned in any fashion for awhile, apart from a special weather statement. Looks like the right call though.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
It had long lived rotation but remained broad since going past Cullman. Usually NWS HUN hands out tor warnings for rotating storms like candy but I guess they saw something that indicated it wasn't tornadic, perhaps weather spotter reports or the weakness of the velocity. The center of rotation came within less than 1 mile of my house and while visibility was very limited, I didn't see any ominous inflow winds or anything. Still kinda surprised given the rotation it wasn't warned in any fashion for awhile, apart from a special weather statement. Looks like the right call though.

I get what you are saying but the Hight of the storm and the inflow just didn't support it. I am sure there was some rotation and it did pick up. I also thought based on history that they were going to issue at minimum a Severe Thunderstorm warning and could have issued a Tornado warning because at one point it did look like it was starting to strengthen, but never really materialized.

Reactions: KoD

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Tornado Watch for most of the mid-Atlantic. 60/20 probs. Tornado warnings already popping in western MD. Large area of 2000-2500 SBCAPE up into PA/NJ and 100+ ESRH, which will increase this evening.

1599164585615.png

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
There's a supercell that's popped out ahead of the line west of Baltimore that definitely needs to be watched. There's already some broad rotation. The main line is about to move into the western DC suburbs.

Edit: Tornado warned now

1599165335582.png1599165346696.png

Last edited:

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Confirmed tornado south of Annapolis, that'll probably be a waterspout over the bay shortly. Pretty impressive couplet for the mid-Atlantic.

Edit: Here's some relatively minor damage from this tornado.

Last edited:

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Update, 5:54 p.m., Pacific: The wind shifted easterly; we got more smoke, blotting out the sun; and I figured it was the Mount Jefferson fires.

No more videos because of bad air. Wind advisory was posted soon after the post below.

Finally got a chance to check the news and it's worse than I thought. Fires have been breaking out all around. This is the saddest, thus far (Lane County is south of us):
Lane County Administrator Steve Mokrohisky said to expect a loss of life from the fire. It burned 55 square miles, or approximately 35,000 acres since beginning Monday night, according to heat maps, Mokrohisky said Tuesday morning. The fire traveled 13 miles overnight and is still moving west.

The fire has burned 80-100 houses in Blue River, Mokrohisky said he was told by fire responders. Mokrohisky said more homes are expected to burn.

. . .

Doug Grafe of the Oregon Department of Forestry . . .
said steady 20 to 30 mile per hour winds from the east, which had been driving fires for most of the day, will continue Tuesday night. He said Wednesday, the conditions will be more favorable, with winds dropping to 10 to 15 miles per hour, but with 25 mile per hour gusts. That will clear out some of the smoke in the valley, he said, but will lead to higher temperatures.

“The weather system we’ve been experiencing for the last 48 hours is expected to break down on Thursday, which will give us the opportunity to shift strategies as far as life safety,” he said. “Thursday is really our turning point to go on the offensive, if you will.”

The governor called the weekend’s weather conditions “once in a generation.” A cold front and strong east winds combined with driest conditions seen in three decades created catastrophic conditions, officials said.

Fires are closing roads around the state.

https://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-...y-calls-situation-dangerous-live-updates.html

No immediate threats here; we're lucky. Will just sit tight, listen to the wind, and try not to think of firenados.

Those poor people in Lane County!

---
Original post

Thought TW should have its own on-the-scene Western fires report :) Please excuse the clumsiness -- it's my first. The smoke from a couple fires in NW Oregon and southern Washington rolled in quickly yesterday and the winds picked up.

When the ash started falling this morning, figured it was camera time, though we're actually out of the worst of it. And nothing big is burning closer than across the valley (many miles away) around Mount Jefferson volcano.

I'm in town, so it's a little comforting to know there are good defenses already in place in case there's trouble -- used to live more in the country, and we did get a fire, though it was quickly put out.

The wildfire fighter culture here is even more intense than in the east. There is a "burn camp" training school at the local mall, and you're always running into somebody who fights fires as a second gig.

They're all out there now and I wish them safety, success, and as much comfort and rest as they can get in the field.

Anyway, here's the video. I've seen thick smoke before, but this is the first wind/fire event for me. Winds here, by the way, are only gusting in the 20s to maybe low 30s (from watching trees blow).

September 8th, not 28th. (blush)

Last edited:

Kory

Reaction score
Not directly severe weather related. But UA is actively telling people to wait in their CAR until a warning is issued before entering the shelter if COVID positive or quarantining. Mind you, shelters open when a tornado watch is issued.

Telling people to wait in a car as severe wx is approaching is absolutely moronic and irresponsible. Shame on UA.
DBDDECA5-6B00-4343-A5EB-75DF9158AFE7.png

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Thought TW should have its own on-the-scene Western fires report :) Please excuse the clumsiness -- it's my first. The smoke from a couple fires in NW Oregon and southern Washington rolled in quickly yesterday and the winds picked up.

When the ash started falling this morning, figured it was camera time, though we're actually out of the worst of it. And nothing big is burning closer than across the valley (many miles away) around Mount Jefferson volcano.

I'm in town, so it's a little comforting to know there are good defenses already in place in case there's trouble -- used to live more in the country, and we did get a fire, though it was quickly put out.

The wildfire fighter culture here is even more intense than in the east. There is a "burn camp" training school at the local mall, and you're always running into somebody who fights fires as a second gig.

They're all out there now and I wish them safety, success, and as much comfort and rest as they can get in the field.

Anyway, here's the video. I've seen thick smoke before, but this is the first wind/fire event for me. Winds here, by the way, are only gusting in the 20s to maybe low 30s (from watching trees blow).

September 8th, not 28th. (blush)

I was just watching this video posted to Twitter from KGW in Oregon, from a town called Stayton. Taken at 12:22pm local time

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
I was just watching this video posted to Twitter from KGW in Oregon, from a town called Stayton. Taken at 12:22pm local time

Yeah, that's what the sky is like here, too, only orange. I updated my original post. It's not good here. Personally, though, we seem to be okay here in Corvallis (Benton County) except for the smoke.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yeah, that's what the sky is like here, too, only orange. I updated my original post. It's not good here. Personally, though, we seem to be okay here in Corvallis (Benton County) except for the smoke.

I just remember how smoky it was here a few years ago with fires about 90 miles away. I can't imagine it being right around you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Logo 468x120
Back