• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

This severe weather season will be?

• Much Above Average

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Above Average

Votes: 26 60.5%
  • Average

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • Below Average

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Much Below Average

Votes: 2 4.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

andyhb

Reaction score
Regarding the poll for this thread, the AA calls are already winning, maybe even the MAA calls at this point. Anything on top of this is basically gravy.

Keldeo

Reaction score

day3otlk_0730.gif

Here we go again....

"Significant severe storms are expected over parts of the Southeast
on Thursday, including the potential for strong tornadoes."

"The NAM solution, if taken literally, suggests strong and perhaps
violent tornadoes will be possible over parts of MS, AL, and GA.
However, this solution is much slower with the dryline than other
models, and may be overdone with instability and low-level shear.
Using the preferred ECWMF solution."

Weatherphreak

Reaction score
It’s odd to me how far south these systems are trending. Usually March is when South Mississippi and Bama get there’s and by mid to late April it’s Tennessee Valley, North Mississippi, Arkansas and starting to trend toward the plains.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I'm gonna go put my life savings into Safelight stock because I think some windshields are gonna get busted by this one.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I can't seem to find this on any official weather sites, but Washington Post is reporting that there was another EF4 tornado in Mississippi on Sunday. If true that would mean this year now has had the most violent tornadoes since 2015 (which also had 4 total).

pohnpei

Reaction score
I can't seem to find this on any official weather sites, but Washington Post is reporting that there was another EF4 tornado in Mississippi on Sunday. If true that would mean this year now has had the most violent tornadoes since 2015 (which also had 4 total).
2015 had 3:rochelle 4/9 holly springs 12/23 rowlett 12/26

Bevo

Reaction score
Here is something interesting to note...
While I took this data from Wikipedia and it shouldn’t completely be taken at face value, they’ve been logging the number of tornadoes in 2020 on their Tornadoes of 2020 page, broken down by month and rating: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tornadoes_of_2020
The page claims there have been 405 tornadoes and 74 deaths attributed to these tornadoes so far.

Of note, 87 tornadoes in 2020 so far have been strong to violent (EF2-EF4). This is roughly 21.5% of all tornadoes spawned, with this approximate breakdown:
EF2: 66 (16.3%)
EF3: 17 (4.2%)
EF4: 4 (1%)

if someone knows a more reliable source to crosscheck with and verify that would be ideal...but interesting looking at the numbers at this point in time. Definitely a year of “above average” activity, and definitely one of the deadliest years in recent times.

Brice

Reaction score
Keep an eye out next week as we have a jet stream already showing high amounts of instability and moisture for Texas and Oklahoma on Tuesday-Wednesday.

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Keep an eye out next week as we have a jet stream already showing high amounts of instability and moisture for Texas and Oklahoma on Tuesday-Wednesday.
Interested Tuesday night for west tennessee area ... spc already talking bout putting a 30 percent risk area already by morning update ... wind fields off euro would support some significant tornado risk southern plains to lower and mid ms valley regions

Kory

Reaction score
Tuesday but really into Wednesday is being honed in by models. UKMET has a solid environment for severe wx Wednesday across MS/AL/TN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back