• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX Severe Threat 25 March 2021

Reaction score
This is what happens when an event is over hyped like the one last week.
Worth mentioning that the original morning high risk verified for parts of extreme eastern Mississippi and a good portion of central Alabama for 3/17. Admittedly, not as extreme of an outbreak as it could've been (especially in regards to sigtors), but still notable for that alone.

Reaction score
I would say a high risk that was predicated on long track violent tornadoes not producing such would be under performing by definition
It wasn't necessarily predicated on violent long-track tornadoes, although they were explicitly forecast. A 45% contour alone meets the threshold for high risk.

Richardjacks

Meteorologist
Reaction score
I dont think the 0z hrr reflects a high risk, mdt yes, but just too much in the way for supercells to take advantage of max instability. There will be tornadoes, but if that is right, there will be less long tracked and strong ones.

AL_ham_op

Reaction score
I find it difficult to believe that the 6th biggest tornado outbreak in Alabama history can be considered overhyped just because things didn't turn out quite as bad as feared. Please, if you are going to post in this thread try contributing something constructive and pertinent to this event only.
Sorry, but this is pertinent to this event because other users were talking about people not taking this threat seriously after what happened last week and I was making an observation as to why.

There's no denying that it was made out to be much more than it was. Yes there were tornadoes, but many of those were small or short-lived. Again, just an observation as to why this event isn't creating the same buzz.

Richardjacks

Meteorologist
Reaction score
I think this needs to be said, on the 0z hrrr, the warm front is well up into the Tennessee Valley, the remaining showers could be overplayed as a capping inversion will be building in. We are only talking about 60 mile so difference. Well within the model's range of error...not an easy forecast as small details like that will make a huge difference.

HazardousWx

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
W4SSW
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I think this needs to be said, on the 0z hrrr, the warm front is well up into the Tennessee Valley, the remaining showers could be overplayed as a capping inversion will be building in. We are only talking about 60 mile so difference. Well within the model's range of error...not an easy forecast as small details like that will make a huge difference.
difference.
Where can you see the latest (current) position of the warm front?

Back