• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Winter WX Potential Winter Mischief 1/16

Gail

Reaction score
They aren't forecasting any accumulation at Mom's I'm NE MS which means they'll get from 6 - 12 inches. I lived in Monroe county most of my life and Starkville for a while and forecasting snow there is nuts. I was friends with Dr. Wax at MSU and he said that forecasting snow in MS was harder than forecasting any other kind of weather.
Dr. Wax is amazing. He taught all my favorite classes.

Yeah, they’re saying basically nothing here in Lowndes County too. They’re keeping it all at the TN state line. I haven’t mentioned it to my 6 year old, and it’ll be a happy surprise if she wakes up to some snow on Sunday. If not, no lost excitement.

Pluviophile

Reaction score
I'm in Maggie Valley, NC, for the weekend. (Live in Hoover, AL.) We're in a cabin on a mountainside, and we're in the bullseye. I'm excited about the potential snow, but worried about getting home on Monday. I'll post updates as the storm unfolds!

Richardjacks

Meteorologist
Reaction score
I am fairly confident on my idea of little snow for Birmingham and some accumulations in northeast Alabama, stretching back to the west across the Tenn Valley. I do have some concern that the precip may be underplayed just a bit which could lead to lower temps thanks to dynamic and evaporative cooling, especially given the surface based cape shown on some of the BHM soundings, even the brief times when it is snowing. I am sure there will be a surprise or two, good and bad for some.

Last edited:

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Dr. Wax is amazing. He taught all my favorite classes.

Yeah, they’re saying basically nothing here in Lowndes County too. They’re keeping it all at the TN state line. I haven’t mentioned it to my 6 year old, and it’ll be a happy surprise if she wakes up to some snow on Sunday. If not, no lost excitement.
I went back in my 30's to get my degree and needed an elective so I signed up for his Meteorology class one summer. He is the reason I got the bug. He told me he came to Mississippi because you could see every form of weather there. It just so happened that Twister had just come out and you should have heard his opinions about that. Great fella.

Gail

Reaction score
I went back in my 30's to get my degree and needed an elective so I signed up for his Meteorology class one summer. He is the reason I got the bug. He told me he came to Mississippi because you could see every form of weather there. It just so happened that Twister had just come out and you should have heard his opinions about that. Great fella.
I was there from 97-01 so we heard about it in class.

brianc33710

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
BMX has issued a Winter Weather Advisory but just for areas just north & west of Bham. Given their on diagram shows a substantial part of N Jeff Co in their at risk area I'm surprised were not included. But sometimes I think that they want to group Shelby with Jeff so this maybe their reasoning.

JPWX

Reaction score
This system so far seems to be overperforming on the snow amounts in Arkansas. You have to wonder if North MS into Alabama might be surprised. Still interesting how Chickasaw and Monroe Counties aren't in an advisory yet or something.

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Smells like rain with maybe a grass dusting on the back side for Blount County to me. Couple degrees of additional evap cooling though, and all bets are off.

Kim30

Reaction score
Why hasn't NWS Huntsville issued any winter weather advisories for the rest of N AL? Areas around us are under Winter Storm Warnings. I'm looking at the charts posted here, and I'm confused.

Flyboy70

Reaction score
Why hasn't NWS Huntsville issued any winter weather advisories for the rest of N AL? Areas around us are under Winter Storm Warnings. I'm looking at the charts posted here, and I'm confused.
They did about an hour ago. Just an advisory for now.

Kolle

Reaction score
They did at 2:30 this afternoon, but it does not go into effect until 6:00 tomorrow morning.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Huntsville AL
229 PM CST Sat Jan 15 2022

ALZ001>008-016-161100-
/O.NEW.KHUN.WW.Y.0003.220116T1200Z-220117T0600Z/
Lauderdale-Colbert-Franklin AL-Lawrence-Limestone-Madison-Morgan-
Marshall-Cullman-
Including the cities of Florence, Muscle Shoals, Sheffield,
Tuscumbia, Russellville, Red Bay, Moulton, Town Creek, Athens,
Huntsville, Decatur, Albertville, Boaz, Guntersville, Arab,
and Cullman
229 PM CST Sat Jan 15 2022

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM SUNDAY TO MIDNIGHT
CST SUNDAY NIGHT...

* WHAT...Wet snow expected. Total snow accumulations of an inch or
less, however locally higher amounts near two inches are
possible in the higher elevations.

* WHERE...Lauderdale, Colbert, Franklin, Lawrence, Limestone,
Madison, Morgan, Marshall and Cullman counties.

* WHEN...From 6 AM Sunday to midnight CST Sunday night.

* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions.

Back