• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX Multi-day Severe Weather Threat 3/12-3/14/2019

MattPetrulli

Reaction score
refcmp_uh001h.us_ov.png

Ahhhhh, that's pretty interesting....

andyhb

Reaction score
The ARW and NMMB WRFs are also lighting the Great Lakes and OV up with supercells on Thursday to go along with the 3 km NAM. Some of them initiate discrete convection all the way south into MS/AL as well.

The current mid/upper level setup is reminiscent of some bigger events up in that region, and there is enough cyclonic curvature/height falls to suggest a threat further south as well towards TN/MS, since there should be strong wind fields overspreading a large area both from W-E and N-S.

The degree of destabilization will be obviously be key, cold mid level temperatures especially further north should yield sufficient instability if dewpoints can get into the upper 50s/low 60s. Will have to see if there's any junk leftover from earlier too.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
IDK what is up with radar data so far this year. There was the Radarscope outage on Saturday, coupled with warnings from Shreveport not showing up on GR Level 3. Now today, warning polygons seem to still take an inordinately long time to display for me on GR Level 3, although they eventually do show up.

Whatever it is, hope it all gets resolved before prime chase season.
I had some issues looking at some weather.gov websites earlier. Wonder if they are having some issues.

jmills

Reaction score
IDK what is up with radar data so far this year. There was the Radarscope outage on Saturday, coupled with warnings from Shreveport not showing up on GR Level 3. Now today, warning polygons seem to still take an inordinately long time to display for me on GR Level 3, although they eventually do show up.

Whatever it is, hope it all gets resolved before prime chase season.

As far as the GR3 warning issues go, try changing the warning URL from warnings.cod.edu to warnings.allisonhouse.com (free even if you don't subscribe). It helps tremendously, at least it does for me.

Kory

Reaction score
Things could become problematic later in AR/NW MS and West TN if surface based destabilization takes place as the HRRR indicates.

g2gseir.png

Kory

Reaction score
Now that I’m looking at soundings, the dynamics are alarming for the aforementioned area. It appears bulk shear vectors begin to orient themselves that would favor a more cellular mode later this evening. Combine that with CAPE >500 J/KG and SRH > 300 m2/s2 in the lower levels, we might have some big problems.

MattPetrulli

Reaction score
Now that I’m looking at soundings, the dynamics are alarming for the aforementioned area. It appears bulk shear vectors begin to orient themselves that would favor a more cellular mode later this evening. Combine that with CAPE >500 J/KG and SRH > 300 m2/s2 in the lower levels, we might have some big problems.
SREF does pop a small 60-75% in that corridor later this evening. HRRR also pops a few discrete cells in that area, but have to be wary of its bad track record recently.

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Looks like Dallas metro had hurricane force winds with the passage of the squall line.

There was a 78mph gust recorded at the airport, and 80mph in Grand Prairie.

Weatherphreak

Reaction score
Brad Travis becoming more concerned with tomorrow here in the Huntsville area. I guess the front is slowing down which will allow more instability to build. He mentioned any discrete cells ahead of the main line could produce stronger tornadoes.

Kory

Reaction score
Brad Travis becoming more concerned with tomorrow here in the Huntsville area. I guess the front is slowing down which will allow more instability to build. He mentioned any discrete cells ahead of the main line could produce stronger tornadoes.
There are a lot of TOR soundings across North/Central AL and TN tomorrow as well as further north into the Ohio Valley. Initially, it appeared a complex of storms would race east mucking up instability. Not so much anymore...

Weatherphreak

Reaction score
Just looked at the Nam and HRRR for tomorrow around 5-11pm and all you see are kidney shaped storms all over North Cental Alabama. I know it’s a simulation but they have Huntsville and Bham with very violent looking storms parked right over the heart of the city at 42609851-C4CF-48C4-B496-E78B86649558.png

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
As far as the GR3 warning issues go, try changing the warning URL from warnings.cod.edu to warnings.allisonhouse.com (free even if you don't subscribe). It helps tremendously, at least it does for me.
Thanks for the tip!

Kory

Reaction score
We’re going to see a situation tomorrow in AL where best dynamics are pulling away but we have great instability. If we can get overlap for a while in the midday and afternoon, there will be the opportunity for some severe weather.

skelly

Reaction score
We’re going to see a situation tomorrow in AL where best dynamics are pulling away but we have great instability. If we can get overlap for a while in the midday and afternoon, there will be the opportunity for some severe weather.

Please tell me this isn’t similar to when we had all the bad hail storms...

Back