• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX Multi-day Severe Weather Threat 3/12-3/14/2019

Weatherphreak

Reaction score
Nam and HRRR both show worrisome supercell look for North Central Alabama. HRRR has everything coming through before dark. NAM is a little slower with storms coming through after dark for Huntsville. Nam is more of a line of supercells where the HRRR has a more discrete look. It’ll be interesting to see which verifies closer to reality.

X

Xenesthis

Well game on

Attachments

• 722DC2D9-038D-4A63-BC24-69D70406A4B2.png
    722DC2D9-038D-4A63-BC24-69D70406A4B2.png
    472 KB · Views: 0

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Thaaaat's a bit of a higher risk than I was expecting, heh. Lots of last minute threat changs this year.

Daryl

Reaction score
tenor.gif

Reaction score
Goodness, some of the HRRR sim ref plots almost resemble a Super Outbreak (or at the very least, Veterans Day 2002) scenario with broken lines of kidney-bean shaped cells with long UH tracks stretching from Alabama to Michigan. Of course, if such a scenario was considered likely today, there would be a high risk in place. I don't envy SPC this year, with just about every event having the conditional potential for something very ugly to happen, but only if everything falls into place just so as occurred at Beauregard on 3/3.

*One thing I would keep an eye on for you Alabamians, the HRRR has been pretty consistent with a strong UH track somewhere near Cullman Co. or just north. Time to go watch the Weather Xtreme Video...

Last edited:
Reaction score
13z outlook snippet

Thunderstorms should redevelop or intensify in advance of the cold
front this afternoon as large-scale ascent within the left exit
region of a 100-kt jet streak approaches the OH/TN Valley region.
Farther south, forcing becomes a bit more nebulous however a more
favorable thermodynamic environment with lower CINH will be in
place. Most CAM guidance maintains discrete or semi discrete storms
initially, with a transition to a more linear structure across
northern portions of the risk area with time due to stronger
large-scale forcing. Primary storm modes for storms that can persist
within the strong shear environment will be supercells and bowing
segments, with a risk for damaging winds, tornadoes, and large hail.

Should a corridor of stronger heating/greater instability develop,
confidence would increase regarding introduction of a significant
tornado risk area given the very favorable background environment.
This may be needed in later outlooks as the effects of ongoing
precipitation is assessed.
https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day1otlk.html

Kory

Reaction score
This is a case where instability will not be a problem for us. Best dynamics will be lifting away from Dixie but there appears to be an overlap for best dynamics and instability later this afternoon. By this evening, the low level dynamics are weakening and pulling northward.

X

Xenesthis

It looks to me that TN has the best dynamics and heating. I will be curious to see how the next few hours evolve. I figure if we can get in the mid 70’s we will have issues.

Jacob

Reaction score
Definitely think the HRRR is worse case scenario. NAM isn’t as robust but still would cause some trouble.

Compared to the NAM, the HRRR is a good 4-5° warmer on temperatures and 2-3° warmer on dewpoints across much of central/northern AL this afternoon. We should have a pretty good idea by noon or so which one is closer to reality.

Logo 468x120
Back