• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX March 30th- April 1st 2023 (South, Southeast, Ohio Valley, Upper Midwest)

Reaction score
Okay so the Robinson Illinois to Sullivan Indiana tornado…if they don’t upgrade it….we’ll we can still tell ourselves that it was likely a very violent tornado. Probably the strongest in Illinois since 2015…

pohnpei

Reaction score
We also have to consider that the average speed of Robinson tornado in its lifetime was 72mph. Speed could top 75mph when it was fastest. Probably among the fastest violent level tornados I have ever heard of which means the duration of winds in one certain place was especially short.

Reaction score
We also have to consider that the average speed of Robinson tornado in its lifetime was 72mph. Speed could top 75mph when it was fastest. Probably among the fastest violent level tornados I have ever heard of which means the duration of winds in one certain place was especially short.
It was also like 1/4 to 1/2 mile-wide. It was likely capable of causing EF5 tornado damage.

Reaction score
Finally going back through pics from this whole thread...the second tornado which formed right in front of me at Keota appears to have been an exact visual clone of its predecessor at almost every stage of its life, crazy.

As for radar indicating the twins continuing all the way to Wellman/Kalona, that's a bit surprising...I don't know what was going on while I was repositioning but all I saw was one tornado rapidly rope out to my west-northwest moments after I got set up again on the northwest edge of Kalona.

Reaction score
This is the Robinson-Sullivan tornado as it stands on the DAT. The tornado caused damage in both NWS Lincoln and NWS Indianapolis' forecast areas. You can probably guess which WFO was responsible for what portion of the track...
View attachment 19896
Good job NWS Lincoln you're now on the "Oh no" list. Sounds like NWS Memphis [REDACTED] all over all its goodwill it got from 12/10, too.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Good job NWS Lincoln you're now on the "Oh no" list. Sounds like NWS Memphis [REDACTED] all over all its goodwill it got from 12/10, too.
I'll repeat what @buckeye05 said about NWS Memphis regarding New Wren and Holly Springs because I think it fits NWS Lincoln perfectly in this situation:

"If they don’t really care, they should at least consult someone who does."

ColdFront

Reaction score
I'll repeat what @buckeye05 said about NWS Memphis regarding New Wren and Holly Springs because I think it fits NWS Lincoln perfectly in this situation:

"If they don’t really care, they should at least consult someone who does."
100%.

I don’t know if this is a situation where Mets or folks at that WFO just don’t want to do field work or don’t want to put in long days over a week, but if they’re going to be apathetic then create a division of folks that will do this full time. NWS is part of the government, they could snap their fingers and add another three letter sub-agency.

Are all the ratings finalized now? If so that above is infuriating, who the hell in the upper levels are reviewing these and being like “oh well, that’s okay”

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
100%.

I don’t know if this is a situation where Mets or folks at that WFO just don’t want to do field work or don’t want to put in long days over a week, but if they’re going to be apathetic then create a division of folks that will do this full time. NWS is part of the government, they could snap their fingers and add another three letter sub-agency.

Are all the ratings finalized now? If so that above is infuriating, who the hell in the upper levels are reviewing these and being like “oh well, that’s okay”
Yeah, I think there needs to be some sort of damage survey review process higher up in the NWS, so when these half-@ssed surveys happen they can send out a secondary survey team to further evaluate the damage, regardless of whether the local WFO's survey teams want to do their jobs or not.

NWS Lincoln did mention difficulty surveying due to roadblocks and flooding, but that still doesn't explain why they didn't survey literally any of the buildings in the immediate vicinity of the technical college. Two entire farmsteads were swept away w/ debris being wind-rowed and vehicles hurled pretty long distances, and these were NOT inaccessible to the survey teams (it sounds more like an excuse or coverup on NWS Lincoln's part than anything else tbh).

Reaction score
Yeah, I think there needs to be some sort of damage survey review process higher up in the NWS, so when these half-@ssed surveys happen they can send out a secondary survey team to further evaluate the damage, regardless of whether the local WFO's survey teams want to do their jobs or not.

NWS Lincoln did mention difficulty surveying due to roadblocks and flooding, but that still doesn't explain why they didn't survey literally any of the buildings in the immediate vicinity of the technical college. Two entire farmsteads were swept away w/ debris being wind-rowed and vehicles hurled pretty long distances, and these were NOT inaccessible to the survey teams (it sounds more like an excuse or coverup on NWS Lincoln's part than anything else tbh).
So much violent damage practically ignored

Logo 468x120
Back