• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX March 30th- April 1st 2023 (South, Southeast, Ohio Valley, Upper Midwest)

Peter Griffin

Reaction score
You have all those April dates, 1 March date which is as close as you can get to April without being in it and........................ then you get hit with that December date. What a wild outbreak that was.

pretty incredible stuff.

though i do find this interesting - this graphic suggests that the storm prediction center's official records indicate 125 tornadoes during the 12z - 12z period. in contrast, wikipedia & supporting sources indicate & list 120. i did some minor digging and discovered no tornadoes on december 14 or december 16, so all of the 125 would have had to occur on december 15. the spc's online database here even lists 119 tornadoes. the difference is somewhat negligible but i am curious as to what the correct count is.

ColdFront

Reaction score
To me personally, this event was more…I don’t want to say impactful or greater, but I feel like In terms of geographic reach and tornados, it pulls one over on April 2020 Easter even though that outbreak had more tornados.

I feel like Easter 2020 was a convective grungy linear system with a couple of rogue supercells in southern Mississippi. With this system you had the nasty QLCS up north, discrete cells stretching from Iowa to as far as East Texas. Their ability to stay discrete basically the entire time and consistently cycle tornados was impressive.

Reaction score
DVN has finally corrected/updated their survey information to separate the tornado that passed near Farson/Hedrick/Martinsburg (maximum EF3 damage) from the Keota EF4 which formed right in front of me southwest of town.

However, I wish they'd actually number the tornadoes in order of the time they occurred. The listing seems totally random/scattershot.

Last edited:

pohnpei

Reaction score
To me personally, this event was more…I don’t want to say impactful or greater, but I feel like In terms of geographic reach and tornados, it pulls one over on April 2020 Easter even though that outbreak had more tornados.

I feel like Easter 2020 was a convective grungy linear system with a couple of rogue supercells in southern Mississippi. With this system you had the nasty QLCS up north, discrete cells stretching from Iowa to as far as East Texas. Their ability to stay discrete basically the entire time and consistently cycle tornados was impressive.
I believe that the intensity and strength of one tornado outbreak can be analyzed from three dimensions.

Firstly, it depends on the amount of tornados. As of now, 135 tornadoes have been confirmed during the 3/31 to 4/1 event, of which approximately 125 have been confirmed within 24 consecutive hours, now ranked fourth or fifth in all time history.

Secondly, it depends on the intensity.
According to the calculation rules of Grazulis, an EF5 tornado is 15 points, an EF4 tornado is 10 points, an EF3 tornado is 5 points, and an EF2 tornado is 2 points. EF0/1 does not count. Currently, this outbreak stands at 131 points, ranked eighth after 1950. Easter 2020 was 133 points and December 10 2021 was 80 points. The points should be higher if Robinson get EF4 rating.
It's also the highest point an outbreak can get in March since 1950

IMG_20230412_075328.jpg

0cd7894c0b0f8f04.png
Finally, it depends on the path length of tornados, it is currently confirmed that the EF2+tornados from the event had a total path length of about 679miles, which is the highest after the super outbreak 2011 and ranks eighth in the history of the entire era.

Last edited:
Reaction score
There seems to be a very noticeable separation of the two modes from this outbreak.

This was right on the cusp of being really, really bad for the upper Midwest. Imagine if the cap had been just a tad bit stronger in the face of that very strong forcing, I wonder if the cells would have remained discrete longer and continued to produce tornado families like that, perhaps going through places like Iowa City, Dubuque and the Quad Cities.

The one thing that kept me going to Iowa was just how totally classic the synoptic setup was, with the left exit region of the 500mb jet nosing right into the warm sector just southeast of the surface low/triple point. The forcing causing a quick linear transition was a wild card, but I gambled that the shear vector was perpendicular enough to the initiating boundary that storms could remain discrete long enough, and for once in my chasing career that sort of gamble paid off.

Reaction score
This was right on the cusp of being really, really bad for the upper Midwest. Imagine if the cap had been just a tad bit stronger in the face of that very strong forcing, I wonder if the cells would have remained discrete longer and continued to produce tornado families like that, perhaps going through places like Iowa City, Dubuque and the Quad Cities.

The one thing that kept me going to Iowa was just how totally classic the synoptic setup was, with the left exit region of the 500mb jet nosing right into the warm sector just southeast of the surface low/triple point. The forcing causing a quick linear transition was a wild card, but I gambled that the shear vector was perpendicular enough to the initiating boundary that storms could remain discrete long enough, and for once in my chasing career that sort of gamble paid off.
Wasn't there quite a few tornado families from this event?

UK_EF4

Reaction score

Deleted now.. my guess is it may have been an accident judging by the DoD and comments in this tweets image but it’s crazy if our EF5 drought has been ended.

ColdFront

Reaction score
Well, not very often do the highly sophisticated WFO’s make a mistake like that, jeez. More so is this mistake laughable given the social climate surrounding the “forbidden” EF5 rating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
While some WFOs did great with this outbreak, some were absolutely shoddy. The absolute variation in how surveys are performed, and even how they rate damage in different ways, is so disjointed.

Logo 468x120
Back