• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX March 30th- April 1st 2023 (South, Southeast, Ohio Valley, Upper Midwest)

buckeye05

Reaction score
As mentioned by others, the damage gap in the DAT was apparently caused by flooding and road access issues, so mystery solved I guess. Still, why not just come back after the water recedes for a second ground survey? I'm not satisfied with that reasoning, especially given that this segment of the path had potentially violent damage. Seems lazy, and I'm not impressed with NWS Lincoln right now.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Also, the road flooding doesn't explain the lack of damage points in that subdivision just south of Robinson. As Andy pointed out, a home was completely leveled on North White Tail Hollow Rd. The survey doesn't mention that, and only describes EF1-EF2 damage trees, power poles, and manufactured homes in this area. What an absolute joke of a damage survey.

Reaction score
I'll repeat what @buckeye05 said about NWS Memphis regarding New Wren and Holly Springs because I think it fits NWS Lincoln perfectly in this situation:

"If they don’t really care, they should at least consult someone who does."
It is like seriously people even we could go out there and give you a decent estimate on how strong or violent the tornado was. I would gladly survey it if I could.

Reaction score
100%.

I don’t know if this is a situation where Mets or folks at that WFO just don’t want to do field work or don’t want to put in long days over a week, but if they’re going to be apathetic then create a division of folks that will do this full time. NWS is part of the government, they could snap their fingers and add another three letter sub-agency.

Are all the ratings finalized now? If so that above is infuriating, who the hell in the upper levels are reviewing these and being like “oh well, that’s okay”
Wow, I was comparing the Robinson/Sullivan tornado flyover with the Andover 1991 fly over. There was some difference and I don’t think this tornado was quite as strong as the Andover 1991 F5 tornado but I certainly believe it was a mid to high-end EF4 tornado based on the most intense damage.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Also, the road flooding doesn't explain the lack of damage points in that subdivision just south of Robinson. As Andy pointed out, a home was completely leveled on North White Tail Hollow Rd. The survey doesn't mention that, and only describes EF1-EF2 damage trees, power poles, and manufactured homes in this area. What an absolute joke of a damage survey.
It also doesn't explain why the farmsteads swept away next to the technical college weren't surveyed, especially since the technical college itself was surveyed and is on the DAT, yet they couldn't bother to go literally across the street where a two story house was leveled. Less than a quarter mile down the road another farmstead was swept away including the farmhouse, with wind rowed debris.

At the very least, Robinson is gonna go down as a perfect example of a (probably deliberately) botched survey, and what NOT to do as far as tornado damage surveying goes. I do have to give props to NWS Indianapolis for doing a decent job on the Indiana portion of the path, however...

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Now there's no direct evidence to suggest that it was intentionally botched imo, but it was at least a very lazy half-baked survey. It's easy to confuse incompetence and apathy with purposeful misdirection imo.
I don't think they had it out for the homeowners or anything in that vein (lol?), but they clearly didn't care enough to conduct a proper damage survey and it shows greatly.

Gail

Reaction score
I don’t know about NWS Lincoln, but I thought I had read that NWS Memphis was going to work with Birmingham and Jackson for their surveys. Did that not happen? I haven’t been keeping up because April is always a super busy month for me at work (inspections, mid-year financial reviews/requests, etc..).

JBishopwx

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
T
I don’t know about NWS Lincoln, but I thought I had read that NWS Memphis was going to work with Birmingham and Jackson for their surveys. Did that not happen? I haven’t been keeping up because April is always a super busy month for me at work (inspections, mid-year financial reviews/requests, etc..).
That did happen.

cincywx

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

pretty incredible stuff.

though i do find this interesting - this graphic suggests that the storm prediction center's official records indicate 125 tornadoes during the 12z - 12z period. in contrast, wikipedia & supporting sources indicate & list 120. i did some minor digging and discovered no tornadoes on december 14 or december 16, so all of the 125 would have had to occur on december 15. the spc's online database here - which it suggests contains *finalized* data up thru dec 31, 2021 - even lists 119 tornadoes. the difference is somewhat negligible but i am curious as to what the correct count is.

Last edited:
Logo 468x120
Back