• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX March 30th- April 1st 2023 (South, Southeast, Ohio Valley, Upper Midwest)

Reaction score
I’m like 99% certain that the Wynne tornado was not on the ground for 73 miles. Im fairly certain it cycled based on my knowledge of the radar data from that day. Am I missing something?

jiharris0220

Reaction score
You can’t just completely rely on radar and use it as gospel. Majority of times the radar is clueless on what’s happening at the surface of a supercell. Especially if a tornado has a fairly shallow updraft or is weak.

Reaction score
I would check out the Enhanced Fujita scale discussion thread. It will have all the info you need on the issues and the tragedy of Vilonia

Have you ever heard the tragedy of John Robinson the wise? Hmm, thought not, it’s not a story Tim Marshall would tell you. It’s a weather community legend.(I’m hoping at least one of you gets this Star Wars reference)
I heard his land killed him so he could go to bed.

Last edited:

buckeye05

Reaction score
Video of the Bridgeville, DE EF3. Really not a visually impressive tornado at all. Would not have expected the intensity of damage it produced based on this video.

pohnpei

Reaction score

IMG_20230406_103132.png
So it seems that the red circle was the place this video recorded.
This place was on the left side(weaker side) of tornado's circulation. Tree damage nearby was rated 110mph.
IMG_20230406_111507.jpg
And this was tornado at its peak intensity. One house obliterated on the right side of circulation rated 165mph.
Damage_Points_SDE_image-20230401-164329.jpg

Last edited:

buckeye05

Reaction score
I'm a bit confused. Was there another large wedge that proceeded the Keota EF4? I wasn't aware, and can't seem to find any survey info on it, nor a track on the DAT. Can someone clue me in? It's not on the wiki list either.

pohnpei

Reaction score
I'm a bit confused. Was there another large wedge that proceeded the Keota EF4? I wasn't aware, and can't seem to find any survey info on it, nor a track on the DAT. Can someone clue me in? It's not on the wiki list either.
yeah. There were two big wedges and several footages clearly showed they were two separate one.(We still can't preclude the possibility that the situation similar to hesston/gossell happened.)

tbh, they looked indeed quite similar in numerous life stage.

Last edited:

buckeye05

Reaction score
yeah. There were two big wedges and several footages clearly showed they were two separate one.(We still can't preclude the possibility that the situation similar to hesston/gossell happened.)

tbh, they looked indeed quite similar in numerous life stage.

Thanks! This clears it up. I guess my only other question is, is NWS Des Moines aware that there was a tornado handoff? Seems like they have it listed as one tornado.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I was ready to complain about the Tennessee offices going that low for the Bethel Springs tornado, but with the current iteration of the EF scale that's pretty much right for a totally straight nailed house. Not sure why I expected better anchoring in a very rural house. Contextuals still look borderline violent to me but probably hard to justify with poor anchoring pulling things to the lower bound

pohnpei

Reaction score
Thanks! This clears it up. I guess my only other question is, is NWS Des Moines aware that there was a tornado handoff? Seems like they have it listed as one tornado.
I still think more likely than not they will separate them in the end. I would be very surprised that if they don't cause the evidence was crystal clear(and someone already sent videos to them).
image-385.png

Reaction score

Part of the problem may be that the first tornado crossed CWA boundaries. The Ottumwa/Farson tornado started in Wapello County (Des Moines) but the rest of the family's path was in counties belonging to DVN.

The new tornado formed very quickly as can be seen in my and other chaser's videos, my best guess is somewhere between 240th and 230th Streets, and went through several rapid changes in appearance before intensifying/expanding into the stout stovepipe-wedge just before/as it was crossing SR 92. Meanwhile the first tornado was still going on, shrouded in low-contrast dust which is why I lost sight/interest in it as the now much more spectacular new tornado took over - a potentially dangerous situation if I had been any closer, or if the old tornado had been pulled cyclonically around the periphery of the new one as has been known to happen (i.e. Pilger). It became visible again as a narrow rope with debris cloud around the time the new tornado was crossing 92 and wedging out, and I'm guessing it followed the new tornado to the northeast before curling a bit to the left as occluded/roping out tornadoes often do (if they're not whipped around the periphery of the new cycle) and dissipated in the field just north of 92.

It may not have damaged anything after the point where its path deviated from the new tornado.

Last edited:

UK_EF4

Reaction score

Looks like some relatively intense damager here. Slab swept clean, anchor bolts with nuts and washers. Some relatively significant tree damage here, and no apparent impact from a vehicle or similar. Would be an EF4 candidate in my opinion but rated EF3/155mph. I'm sure MEG have a fair reason though.

ColdFront

Reaction score

Looks like some relatively intense damager here. Slab swept clean, anchor bolts with nuts and washers. Some relatively significant tree damage here, and no apparent impact from a vehicle or similar. Would be an EF4 candidate in my opinion but rated EF3/155mph. I'm sure MEG have a fair reason though.
Goodness gracious.

I’m not necessarily familiar with building techniques and associated costs, but someone who is… we always see some very large, nicer homes with poor anchoring. Does that extra anchoring cost more? Take a lot more time to put in? I know anyone building a home will want to get it as nice as possible but also as cheap as possible.

Regardless, I would honestly believe the picture above would indicate at least a low end EF4 if that was an actual decently built home

Last edited:

The Nino

Reaction score

where's this from? I assume thats a garage?