• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX March 30th- April 1st 2023 (South, Southeast, Ohio Valley, Upper Midwest)

Reaction score
I'm surprised that the death toll wasn't higher. This could have been much, much worse.
I think it helped that a lot of the tornadoes were during the day. It makes a huge difference. Sullivan was after dark and I think that plays a part in the loss of life. Beyond that, it hit a lot of very rural areas (for the most part). If it had hit more populated areas, we would have death tolls more like what we saw in Little Rock. If the outbreak had been more nocturnal, it also would have been worse. I think Iowa City and Cedar Rapids, for example, got extremely lucky. And, depressingly, since Little Rock was one of the first places hit, the story of that helped put people on alert. On top of that all, the northern section of the outbreak generally happened where basements are fairly common. There are still mobile homes, but not a ton. That means more people have easier access to shelter.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
I think it helped that a lot of the tornadoes were during the day. It makes a huge difference. Sullivan was after dark and I think that plays a part in the loss of life. Beyond that, it hit a lot of very rural areas (for the most part). If it had hit more populated areas, we would have death tolls more like what we saw in Little Rock. If the outbreak had been more nocturnal, it also would have been worse. I think Iowa City and Cedar Rapids, for example, got extremely lucky. And, depressingly, since Little Rock was one of the first places hit, the story of that helped put people on alert. On top of that all, the northern section of the outbreak generally happened where basements are fairly common. There are still mobile homes, but not a ton. That means more people have easier access to shelter.
Yeah night time tornadoes are the worst, i have to admit I've been lucky from not being directly hit from two ef3s during the night, slept through one back in January 2012 and then got called at 11 in the night on January 2022 before it hit down the road had to run to my neighbors basement in the nick of time. I don't have weather radio or a notificstion system to ding me so I just got to sleep if the risk isn't super high which really got me in trouble on the 2022 one which was a slight risk if I remember correctly

UK_EF4

Reaction score
1680733267956.png
Wynne tornado has a preliminary path length of 73 miles per DAT. Going to show again that lots of these tornadoes were very long tracked, not that this makes a difference to tornado outbreak magnitude anyway...

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
A tad surprised we're still only at one EF4 for such a large outbreak.
Part of it is that (fortunately) many of these tornadoes (especially in the northern part of the outbreak) seemed to reach their peak strength away from populated areas. If some of those large tornadoes in Iowa that were mostly over open fields had hit more populated areas, I think we'd have more than one EF4.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Considering their track record, MEG has been doing a pretty good job with the McNairy County survey. Unsurprisingly the one large home near Bethel Springs appears to have been pretty poorly anchored.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Well, I will cut MEG a break as that is really crappy anchoring.
Lowballing a tornado is one thing but it's another entirely to leave miles upon miles of damage path unsurveyed, which is what MEG is notorious for doing.

Yet, this time around MEG is actually doing a better job; at least for now, their survey of McNairy Co. is actually more thorough than Quad Cities' survey of the Keota tornado.

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Part of it is that (fortunately) many of these tornadoes (especially in the northern part of the outbreak) seemed to reach their peak strength away from populated areas. If some of those large tornadoes in Iowa that were mostly over open fields had hit more populated areas, I think we'd have more than one EF4.
We'd have two EF4+ tornadoes had both those IA tornadoes struck towns (or just more substantial structures). I can say that with confidence.

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
I'm seeing very few DIs on DAT from the IL portion of that Sullivan track.

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Hopefully there’s good reason. The damage shown above looks violent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The ILX page has a more detailed track, but that tree damage alone looks pretty severe. Not sure where exactly those flyover photos were taken.

RobinsonTOR.png

FsmCRHQWIAY0DoJ.png

The lack of DIs in that portion of the track has me a bit suspicious, since it had its strongest signature on radar with a pronounced debris ball at that time @buckeye05.

Where is the overhead video where those screengrabs were taken @pohnpei? I'd like to do some geolocating.

Last edited:

cincywx

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

you hit the nail on the head with everything here, but this in particular i wouldnt have even thought to consider. that tornado really did "kick off" the outbreak and because it was a big city, awareness spread like crazy. it was also wild how not only were there hundreds of videos of it on social media as it happened, but nearly every lil rock news station had a camera on it.

pohnpei

Reaction score
The ILX page has a more detailed track, but that tree damage alone looks pretty severe. Not sure where exactly those flyover photos were taken.

View attachment 19861

FsmCRHQWIAY0DoJ.png

The lack of DIs in that portion of the track has me a bit suspicious, since it had its strongest signature on radar with a pronounced debris ball at that time @buckeye05.

Where is the overhead video where those screengrabs were taken @pohnpei? I'd like to do some geolocating.
Some taken near this place.
image-242.png
It's pretty striking to me that those buildings got mostly obliterated was on the left side of the circulation while tornado moving at 70mph.
Another two places
image-390.png
IMG_20230406_080508.png

Last edited:

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Back