• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX March 23-25th, 2023

ColdFront

Reaction score
Thinking a limiting factor maybe lack of actual initiation of storms in the warm sector although the HRRR under forecasted in the past two major forecasted events. And with this one it's already gungho. So id mark that one out...

Maybe mid level lapse rates being on the meager side or low level lapse rates? Doesn't need phenomenal low level lapse rates in the south though. And with the cold air advection in the mid levels I'd say mid level lapse rates should be fine.

Maybe a messy storm mode?
Yeah, I would say those two. Messy mode is always in play in the south if crapvection takes off and everything just congeals into a grungy line and it just eats up the environment from actual cells.

LLLRs would be another - although heating wise, this setup is the best opportunity and primed to reverse our trend of poor LLLRs the past few events.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Either way tommorow will be a very dangerous day wether it's not a high risk or is. Don't think ef3-ef5s or multiple significant tornadoes follow a guideline of it being high risk or not lol.

In fact the last 2 ef4s have occured on enchanced days.

JBishopwx

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Jackson's AFD:
Active weather will be the story for the beginning of the extended
forecast period as two severe weather events impact the region this
weekend. The main focus will be a significant severe event that is
expected to impact the region Friday night with all hazards
possible, including strong tornadoes. The other looks to be
primarily a hail and wind threat that impacts southern portions of
the area Sunday afternoon.

An upper ridge to the southeast, and upper trough to the northwest,
aid in strong return flow ahead of a potent system Friday night.
Negative tilt of the trough should aid in deepening a surface low
over the the ArLaTex as it traverses northeastward. An upper level
jet associated with this trough will be oriented SW to NE across the
ArkLaMiss. Tightening pressure gradient from the rapidly deepening
low leads to a strengthening low level jet, with speeds of 55-65
kts. Guidance continues to show mid to upper 60s dewpoints, 1000-
1500 J/Kg SBCAPE, and steep low level lapse rates of 8+ C/Km in the
open warm sector. This very unstable airmass coupled with ample deep
layer shear, should lead to robust storm development ahead of a
surface cold front. Discrete supercell mode is expected initially in
the warm sector aided by prefrontal confluence, which will increase
tornado threat, especially strong tornadoes in the late evening
hours. As storms progress across the southern Mississippi Delta,
some storms could congeal into broken line segments, combined with
40-50 kt 0-3 km bulkshear, QLCS tornadoes could be possible. This
will especially be the case in any bowing segments oriented NW to
SE. In addition to the tornado threat, strong damaging wind gusts of
greater than 70 MPH, and large hail up to golf ball size, are
likely, with deep shear and steep mid level lapse rates. SE ridge
influence will diminish severe threat as the storms progress
eastward, generally after 2 - 3 AM Saturday morning, although some
hazards will still be possible before moving out by daybreak.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
If your referring to November 4th….that was a tornado driven moderate risk day…
Wait lol I was thinking of Lee county ef4 and Mayfield. I forgot about the two efs from the Easter 2020 and march 2021 outbreak lol. Those were high risk and moderate but. A lot of significant tornadoes happen no matter the risk line or areas.

ColdFront

Reaction score
Wait lol I was thinking of Lee county ef4 and Mayfield. I forgot about the two efs from the Easter 2020 and march 2021 outbreak lol. Those were high risk and moderate but. A lot of significant tornadoes happen no matter the risk line or areas.
I think Mayfield was a Moderate too. IIRC, the only thing that kept them from going high was they had never seen an environment like that at that time of the year so they were in uncharted waters.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think Mayfield was a Moderate too. IIRC, the only thing that kept them from going high was they had never seen an environment like that at that time of the year so they were in uncharted waters.
That environment was comparable to what northern Alabama was like on April 27 2011…the same type of environment responsible for the Hackleburg EF5 is what led to the mayfield EF4. Very similar environments…

UK_EF4

Reaction score
To me the main failure mode looks to be low level lapse rates - a couple of soundings I have picked out don't have super strong lapse rates in the lower levels. Apart from that, almost everything seems to be on track for a very significant event. I am also thinking HRRR and other CAMS could increase the signal for discrete warm sector convection.

Reaction score
To me the main failure mode looks to be low level lapse rates - a couple of soundings I have picked out don't have super strong lapse rates in the lower levels. Apart from that, almost everything seems to be on track for a very significant event. I am also thinking HRRR and other CAMS could increase the signal for discrete warm sector convection.
What will those lower lapse rates do? Well….what could they do?

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
As we start into this season it is always best to have an emergency preparedness kit or emergency items handy. This link is an affiliate link and costs you nothing to use it or when you purchase from Amazon other than the normal shopping you would do. If you would like to support the forum, would like to get prepared for an emergency or just want to shop on Amazon, Use this link: Amazon Talk Weather Emergency Preparedness Kit Thank you to all who support this forum.

Stay Weather Aware and let's help people stay informed

-Jay

Back