• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX March 23-25th, 2023

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
As we start into this season it is always best to have an emergency preparedness kit or emergency items handy. This link is an affiliate link and costs you nothing to use it or when you purchase from Amazon other than the normal shopping you would do. If you would like to support the forum, would like to get prepared for an emergency or just want to shop on Amazon, Use this link: Amazon Talk Weather Emergency Preparedness Kit Thank you to all who support this forum.

Stay Weather Aware and let's help people stay informed

-Jay
It doesn't take me directly to a kit, is there one that supports this forum?

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Technical Admin
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
It doesn't take me directly to a kit, is there one that supports this forum?
The link supports the forum. Any of those kits that you purchase from Amazon when you click that link will support the forum. Thank you.

Matt Grantham

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Moisture trends on tonight's models are going to be key along with the resolution of the prefrontal confluence zone. The potential appears to be there for more supercells across MS/AL than shown by the CAMs as indicated by the ECMWF. These small scale details are the difference between a full on outbreak or something like an Enhanced Risk.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Just a quick observation...both on the long range RAP and HRRR with each consecutive run higher paramters have creeped in to the western half of Alabama. Would rather have the comparison of ehi but cod doesn't have it on the long range hrrr. New hrrr run should come out in about 2 hours ish.. Screenshot_2023-03-23-18-59-25-95_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpgScreenshot_2023-03-23-18-59-10-18_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpgScreenshot_2023-03-23-18-58-52-46_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpgScreenshot_2023-03-23-18-58-34-71_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Here to add to the NAM-bashing; I've seen it spit out TOR or even PDS TOR soundings on marginal days like 8/21/21, do what it's doing now for very threatening setups, and it always seems to be one extreme or the other. Not sure what it is about the NAM in particular that causes it to be such an outlier in comparison to the HRRR, GFS and other forecast models; either way, I usually use the GFS model now.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Kinda expecting once the short range hrrr gets into range for the event. For it to go bonkers with things. With the typical short range bump that happens.

The hrrr has been abysmal in storm coverage with the last two major events from my memory.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Here to add to the NAM-bashing; I've seen it spit out TOR or even PDS TOR soundings on marginal days like 8/21/21, do what it's doing now for very threatening setups, and it always seems to be one extreme or the other. Not sure what it is about the NAM in particular that causes it to be such an outlier in comparison to the HRRR, GFS and other forecast models; either way, I usually use the GFS model now.
To be fair, the GFS has its own issues with thermodynamics, especially during the cool season.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
To be fair, the GFS has its own issues with thermodynamics, especially during the cool season.
Of course the NAM does have its benefits since it's a regional model - but like any forecast model, where it's better in some ways it pays the price in others.

Back