• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Hurricane Ian

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
100 mph and 965 mb as of the new advisory. Cuba is gonna get slammed in a few hours.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yeah it's really clearing out and looks like it's getting closed off. Might be go time here in the next few hours.

Jacob

Reaction score
I actually haven't heard of the brown water effect, that's interesting. Are there other places that do that? Like the Everglades or something?

Yeah the Everglades have had a few strengthen or maintain while over land for a significant amount of time. If I remember correctly Katrina got better organized and strengthened while over south Florida before moving into the gulf. I think there's been an example or two in Louisiana as well.

akt1985

Reaction score
A few years ago, Tampa EMA did a tabletop exercise of a hypothetical Cat 5 Hurricane Phoenix hitting Tampa directly. Sadly, Ian might be a real-life Hurricane Phoenix.

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The spread is still large in the short term.

Last edited:

Blountwolf

PerryW Project Supporter
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
What a beast. Emerging back over water now. One of the best organized Cuba crosssings I've ever seen.

1664284689026.png

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yeah the Everglades have had a few strengthen or maintain while over land for a significant amount of time. If I remember correctly Katrina got better organized and strengthened while over south Florida before moving into the gulf. I think there's been an example or two in Louisiana as well.
I want to say we had a tropical depression make landfall on the east coast of Florida a few years ago and strengthened into a tropical storm over land. I don't remember the storm name or the path.

TornadoFan

Reaction score
What a beast. Latest NHC advisory has the max winds down to 115 MPH and pressure up to 963mb, but I'm sure that won't last long.
index.jpg

Blountwolf

PerryW Project Supporter
Sustaining Member
Reaction score

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Looking more like a Category 4 now.

goes16-vis-09-L-202209271537.gif