• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Hurricane Hurricane Michael

akt1985

Reaction score
Its the East Coast effect. The two biggest clusterings of weather people are in NC up to VA and another from NJ up to Boston. So whenever there's a threat along the east coast it gets unlimited 24/7 coverage both in the media and on weather forums but the same cannot be said for a Gulf Coast event unless its tracking towards Houston or New Orleans. Major cities in the path get views (+Bonus points if its convenient for the media to deploy reporters to said location). Nobody outside of FL cares about Panama City Beach unless they are planning on getting drunk on a beach during spring break.

Speaking of getting drunk on a beach during spring beak at Panama City Beach, even though I would hate for Michael to directly hit Panama City Beach, if there’s a silver lining in all of this, maybe that trashy Florabama Shore reality show on MTV gets cancelled after the storm.

Evan

Reaction score
It seems very probable we may have strengthening until landfall. Michael is going to break a lot of records. He's unlike any storm the Florida Panhandle has ever experienced. I truly hope that evacuations have continued and that EVERYONE in the Panhandle gets out. Even those inland will deal with wind unlike any storm in history.

Daryl

Reaction score
Hurricane Michael Intermediate Advisory Number 15A
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL142018
700 AM CDT Wed Oct 10 2018

...POTENTIALLY CATASTROPHIC HURRICANE MICHAEL HEADING TOWARD THE
FLORIDA PANHANDLE...
...LIFE-THREATENING STORM SURGE...HURRICANE FORCE WINDS...AND HEAVY
RAINFALL IMMINENT...

SUMMARY OF 700 AM CDT...1200 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...29.0N 86.3W
ABOUT 90 MI...145 KM SW OF PANAMA CITY FLORIDA
ABOUT 90 MI...145 KM WSW OF APALACHICOLA FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...145 MPH...230 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...N OR 10 DEGREES AT 13 MPH...20 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...933 MB...27.55 INCHES

Jacob

Reaction score
It seems very probable we may have strengthening until landfall. Michael is going to break a lot of records. He's unlike any storm the Florida Panhandle has ever experienced. I truly hope that evacuations have continued and that EVERYONE in the Panhandle gets out. Even those inland will deal with wind unlike any storm in history.

It's actually amazing how fortunate this area of the panhandle has been over the last century, especially when compared with the western Panhandle/AL/MS area. Obviously that means zilch right now however.

Might be grasping at straws, but there's a small amount of dry air NE of the eye at the moment. Hopefully it can cause some issues.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Storm surge inundation map. Red = 9' above ground. Nauseating.

kkTye8a.png

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Should still be a category 1 when it passes over my parents overnight. They were living in eastern Georgia (south of Augusta) during Hugo (a few months before I was born). They live in central Georgia (south of Macon) now, so I told my mom to basically prepare for the same kind of impacts they got there from Hugo. Gave her Spann's speech about not depending on the tornado siren, etc. They've brought their outdoor cats inside and cleaned up the porches and yards at their house and my dad's office. Glad they don't have any tall trees around, aside from a couple of magnolias at dad's office that are too short to reach the building.

Also just as a rant, this is where Facebook's non-chronological feed is annoying. I'd like to share weather information with people I know in that area but they might not see it today and it might randomly pop up on Friday instead. Really makes it hard to pass along time-sensitive information to anything more than a couple of people.

Jacob

Reaction score
Pressure down to 934 mb. This is making a run at category 5. We haven't seen something strengthening like this at landfall in a VERY long time.

I imagine this is a little what it would've been like watching Camille on final approach.

Evan

Reaction score
There are supposedly 25k people left in Panama City Beach according to an official doing a live shot on the news.

If this is truly the case they need to get those people out of there. I know Scott and others say it is too late. Screw the high winds on the bridge. Try to get the rest out for as long as you can. I don't think they realize what they're about to deal with. They are likely to get the RFQ and there's basically zero chance any weakening will occur/have any impact before landfall.

They need to get people out.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Very similar in terms of winds and intensity to Charley (which was 150 mph and I think 940 mb or so at landfall). Obviously not the same part of the coast but that's...not good company to be in.

Kory

Reaction score
There are supposedly 25k people left in Panama City Beach according to an official doing a live shot on the news.

If this is truly the case they need to get those people out of there. I know Scott and others say it is too late. Screw the high winds on the bridge. Try to get the rest out for as long as you can. I don't think they realize what they're about to deal with. They are likely to get the RFQ and there's basically zero chance any weakening will occur/have any impact before landfall.

They need to get people out.
A lot of the structures in Panama City are NOT to the new code set after Hurricane Andrew. I'm thinking this is gonna look like Homestead after Andrew. I wish I was exaggerating. I haven't felt a pit like this in my stomach since....Katrina.

Jacob

Reaction score
A lot of the structures in Panama City are NOT to the new code set after Hurricane Andrew. I'm thinking this is gonna look like Homestead after Andrew. I wish I was exaggerating. I haven't felt a pit like this in my stomach since....Katrina.

Worst case scenario IMO is Panama City proper in the RFQ of the storm. Not to wish it on anybody else, but either direction 20-30 miles (say Mexico Beach or Rosemary Beach) would be a much better solution.

Back