• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Hurricane Hurricane Michael

TuckerTerry

Reaction score
Ugh y'all.... many didn't leave because it was said it would be minimal. Like Kory said, it just isn't getting the press that Florence got.

beckthewreck

Reaction score
I am new to this forum so please forgive me in advance of any ignorance or dumb questions. I do geek out over bad weather though ;). What are the chances this does not take a NE turn?

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
Ugh y'all.... many didn't leave because it was said it would be minimal. Like Kory said, it just isn't getting the press that Florence got.

Its the East Coast effect. The two biggest clusterings of weather people are in NC up to VA and another from NJ up to Boston. So whenever there's a threat along the east coast it gets unlimited 24/7 coverage both in the media and on weather forums but the same cannot be said for a Gulf Coast event unless its tracking towards Houston or New Orleans. Major cities in the path get views (+Bonus points if its convenient for the media to deploy reporters to said location). Nobody outside of FL cares about Panama City Beach unless they are planning on getting drunk on a beach during spring break.

Brent

Reaction score
I always find it intriguing how certain storms get hyped with 24/7 media coverage (I.e Florence) but this looks just as devastating and it seems to be getting back burner attention....

quite amazing isn't it...

MikeP

Reaction score
We're running close to CAT 4....Southwest quadrant is looking more impressive on IR. Becoming more symmetrical. Colder tops look to be really wrapping around more to the south....

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
I am new to this forum so please forgive me in advance of any ignorance or dumb questions. I do geek out over bad weather though ;). What are the chances this does not take a NE turn?

No question is dumb. :) And welcome to the forum! I'm not at all weather-knowledgeable, but judging from what everyone is saying, looks like those chances are close to nil. Sigh. I know some Alabamians with Panama Beach property within walking distance of the Gulf.

Brent

Reaction score
It all feels so strange to me after watching Florence for what seemed like an eternity this thing just came out of nowhere

Daryl

Reaction score
Hurricane Michael Advisory Number 15
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL142018
400 AM CDT Wed Oct 10 2018

...EXTREMELY DANGEROUS CATEGORY 4 MICHAEL STRENGTHENS
FURTHER AS IT HEADS NORTHWARD TOWARD THE FLORIDA PANHANDLE...
...LIFE-THREATENING STORM SURGE...HURRICANE FORCE WINDS...AND HEAVY
RAINFALL EXPECTED ALONG THE NORTHEASTERN GULF COAST...

SUMMARY OF 400 AM CDT...0900 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...28.3N 86.5W
ABOUT 140 MI...225 KM SSW OF PANAMA CITY FLORIDA
ABOUT 130 MI...215 KM SW OF APALACHICOLA FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...140 MPH...220 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...N OR 360 DEGREES AT 13 MPH...20 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...943 MB...27.85 INCHES

Back