• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Hurricane Hurricane Laura

Evan

Reaction score
That classic donut shape of Laura on IR satellite is terrifying. At this point, even if she does begin to weaken, the insane surge is already baked in. That said, I really don't see her weakening. Maybe she stops intensifying before landfall, but I just don't think enough time is left for her to weaken.

Kory

Reaction score
That classic donut shape of Laura on IR satellite is terrifying. At this point, even if she does begin to weaken, the insane surge is already baked in. That said, I really don't see her weakening. Maybe she stops intensifying before landfall, but I just don't think enough time is left for her to weaken.
Yeah, I think a category 4 is baked in at this point. Very little in the way to weaken it until it’s well inland (north of I-10).

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
With the amount above normal that region has been for rainfall, it may take a bit for it to wind down. Brown ocean effect like Allison did. :(

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score

Kory

Reaction score
My husband is an off shore ship captain who is currently on his boat moored in Port Fourchon, LA. Worried does not even cover my feelings.
Port Fourchon is well East of the center. They will get tropical storm conditions with passing rain bands and a 4-6 foot storm surge but the core of the storm is passing well west.

Kory

Reaction score
On a beeline to Lake Charles currently. A wobble East might put them in the western eyewall and worst of the surge goes east. Unfortunately that means it’s just passed onto another community...and a larger city in Lafayette.

Nice shot of mesovorts in the eyewall from Lake Charles Radar. Signature of upper echelon major hurricanes.

Evan

Reaction score
Not that it really matters as far as impacts, but Cat 5 is getting very close.

Going to absolutely devastate parts of Louisiana and Texas for years to come. Sickening feeling.

barcncpt44

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Laura is at 150 mph now.

Kory

Reaction score
Not that it really matters as far as impacts, but Cat 5 is getting very close.

Going to absolutely devastate parts of Louisiana and Texas for years to come. Sickening feeling.
Had a chief meteorologist out of NOLA choke back tears. This is one of those life before/life after events for the folks of SW Louisiana.

Back