• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Hurricane Hurricane Laura

JS3564MiMo

Reaction score
On a beeline to Lake Charles currently. A wobble East might put them in the western eyewall and worst of the surge goes east. Unfortunately that means it’s just passed onto another community...and a larger city in Lafayette.

Nice shot of mesovorts in the eyewall from Lake Charles Radar. Signature of upper echelon major hurricanes.

Lafayette??? Noooooo! I have friends who live/work there!

Sent from my iPhone using TalkWeather mobile app

barcncpt44

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Interstate 10 is now being closed across Western Louisiana.

Jacob

Reaction score
Are we getting a little dry air into the core now? There's no eyewall on the southern side, and the eye is ever so slightly more "ragged" on satellite now.

Kory

Reaction score
Are we getting a little dry air into the core now? There's no eyewall on the southern side, and the eye is ever so slightly more "ragged" on satellite now.
That's radar attenuation...the radar beam can't see the other side of the eyewall. There's no dry air intrusion. That "ragged" look is mesovortices within the eyewall.

GndVMCJ.jpg

Jacob

Reaction score
That's radar attenuation...the radar beam can't see the other side of the eyewall. There's no dry air intrusion. That "ragged" look is mesovortices within the eyewall.

GndVMCJ.jpg

I thought that initially as well, but it has the same presentation from Houston's radar too.

barcncpt44

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I'm beginning to wonder if some of the high rises in Lake Charles survive.
I'm worried about this big bridge on I-10 in Lake Charles.

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Lots of people (self included) hate it when storms come through at night, let alone something like Laura.

So it was really thoughtful for the experts to share this for all the folks out there who aren't weather geeks and are in the affected area:

Logo 468x120
Back