• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Hurricane Hurricane Dorian

X

Xenesthis

If... and I mean if... these models mess this up by 30 miles... The implications will be horrible for FL. I went through 3 hurricanes between 2003-2009 in Port St Lucie and I think some of the wording is concerning. The residents will put their guard down. Trust me they have... I know the mentality there. I hope the models are correct but if the system doesn’t turn as sharp there will be serious issues cause a lot of people are staying.

Gail

Reaction score
If... and I mean if... these models mess this up by 30 miles... The implications will be horrible for FL. I went through 3 hurricanes between 2003-2009 in Port St Lucie and I think some of the wording is concerning. The residents will put their guard down. Trust me they have... I know the mentality there. I hope the models are correct but if the system doesn’t turn as sharp there will be serious issues cause a lot of people are staying.

Yep, I have a friend that has already put her hurricane shutters away. I keep begging her to put them back up (because better safe than sorry), but she thinks they’re okay now. Her and her husband both have jobs where they can’t evacuate so I hope it does start that turn shortly.

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Reports that the communication infrastructure is being damaged, not sure how much longer we will know of conditions in the Bahamas!!
Just keep praying!!

This source is helpful.

Right now, it seems, they're begging people to evacuate Grand Bahama, with a bridge open until 3 p.m. local time, transportation available, and 13 shelters open.

One of their stories quotes the Bahamas prime minister earlier today:

“This is probably the most saddened and worst day of my life to address the Bahamian people. I just want to say as a physician, I've been trained to withstand many things but never anything like this.

We are facing a hurricane, one that we've never seen in the history of the Bahamas. There will be gusts in excess of 200mph. We have some of the best standards of home-building within this region.

Our homes are built to withstand at least 150mph so this will put us to the test that we have never confronted before. The extreme surge of about 20ft... that’s higher than the average roof of our homes here in the Bahamas.

This is a deadly storm and a monster storm," he continued, "on two previous occasions I have asked Bahamians to leave the cays and in the west and east. Many have not heed my warning, many are left behind, there are individuals in the western area who still refuse to leave. I can only say to them that I hope this is not the last time they will hear my voice and may God be with them.

The Marsh Harbour area of Abaco, parts of it is already underwater and some areas you cannot tell the difference between the beginning of the street and where ocean begins and they have not been hit by the brunt of the storm.

Those (in) Abaco at this point in time, cannot move anymore. They are now in for the long haul."

A very long haul. :(

WX_Poser

Reaction score
I can't imagine this thing turning on the exact path that the NHC has. Hopefully it will be a sharper turn north and eventually go out to sea. However, a wider turn north will push a lot of water onshore and into intercoastal canals. The land between the canals and the beaches would be a huge concern. The 12Z HWRF has this scenario playing out somewhat, but with a legit landfall in St. Augustine area. My question is more about the HWRF. I always thought this model was better for tropical cyclones within 48 hours than the GFS or Euro. Is this generally the case?

Evan

Reaction score

Was communicating through family with other family in Palm Beach County. They said they're out of danger because the hurricane is going north of them and that there's no problem.

I was very concerned that would be the attitude as I've seen it before down there. Your experience with people putting their guard down mirrors my own.

I really hope Dorian doesn't miss his turn by too much because if he does I truly think the usual hurricane preparations are simply not in place in a lot of areas, and I don't think people will have time to do much of anything unless they start right now.

Lori

Staff member
Emeritus Moderator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Seems like the forward speed is slowing down. At least from what I've read on Twitter.
Exactly as they expected, I hope the northern turn starts!!

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Cloud tops are cooling more significantly, and pressure continues to fall.

Lori

Staff member
Emeritus Moderator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Supposed to be Live Feed in Marsh Harbor