• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Hurricane Hurricane Dorian

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Pressure is rapidly falling into the 910s, too. Catastrophe in the making for Great Abaco

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
NHC just upped the sustained winds to 175 MPH with 200 MPH gusts.
Wow that's impressive.
I read a news story this morning about possibly a couple hundred people who didn't evacuate the warning area in the north Bahamas. They are in great peril to say the least.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Waters to the west only get warmer. In theory this this area could sustain a 190-200mph hurricane, but surely an eyewall replacement cycle or moderate upwelling will eventually cap it off.

Or, really more of exhaustion of high end OHC than upwelling, as waters here are very shallow and wouldn't upwell cold water, just cool off as a stalled storm extracts a large amount of heat.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Waters to the west only get warmer. In theory this this area could sustain a 190-200mph hurricane, but surely an eyewall replacement cycle or moderate upwelling will eventually cap it off.

Or, really more of exhaustion of high end OHC than upwelling, as waters here are very shallow and wouldn't upwell cold water, just cool off as a stalled storm extracts a large amount of heat.

What’s been even more astounding is that storm has yet to show a sign of an eyewall replacement. I would suspect that will happen today, but it’s incredible how strong the system is.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yeah it's jaw dropping how there's been no hint of that yet at all, ever since it became a major really. Shades of Irma.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Extrapolated 910mb. Bout to pass Maria's 908 and enter the all time top ten. Already beat Irma as most intense non Gulf/Caribbean storm.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Worth noting that there are a couple of hurricane chasers on the island. Might well be the most violent intentional intercept in basin history.

MikeP

Reaction score
Pressure drop is unbelievable. Seems lower portions of the eye are getting even darker. Also a good indication of rapid strengthening.....

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Eye temperature on satellite getting into ridiculous territory. Unless the Bahamas landfall interrupts the eyewall some, I'd not even be shocked to see sub-900 today

MikeP

Reaction score
So whats the forward speed? Like 7? Floridians have got to be biting those nails big time. Just how far west will she go.....

Edit: sorry just saw it....

Reaction score
I think it’s safe to officially say now Florida is off the hook from a direct landfall despite proclamations otherwise. There’s been some shifts West, but unless you’re going to tell me the ridge is not going to weaken at all, I don’t see it getting west far enough. Of course there will be some impacts to cause headaches, but I know I wouldn’t be panicking anymore.