• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX April 4th-6th, 2022 Severe Weather Threat

Reaction score
Warning for embedded supercell near Newton, MS says confirmed large and extremely dangerous tornado; although the radar doesn't look that impressive to me at the moment.

kevinrock

Reaction score
Debris signature on the PDS cell approaching NW of Newton, MS
3fe4564b604f7f63efca2bca177a048d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
If that stays on the ground it's going to move right into the south side of Meridian.

Jpgood97

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Thoughts on the cell moving towards Troy Alabama?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Thoughts on the cell moving towards Troy Alabama?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fortunately for local residents; something (perhaps those poor low-level lapse rates SPC mentioned in their MD) appears to be preventing those discrete cells from really getting rooted despite ample moisture, low-level shear and those robust UH streaks portrayed on the HRRR runs.

Edit: These may actually be elevated on the north side of the warm front. SPC still seems to think surface-based supercells will be able to develop soon, perhaps out of the cluster near Hattiesburg/Columbia currently; or the discrete cells popping up near Baton Rouge, LA.

Last edited:

xJownage

Reaction score
Fortunately for local residents; something (perhaps those poor low-level lapse rates SPC mentioned in their MD) appears to be preventing those discrete cells from really getting rooted despite ample moisture, low-level shear and those robust UH streaks portrayed on the HRRR runs.

Edit: These may actually be elevated on the north side of the warm front. SPC still seems to think surface-based supercells will be able to develop soon, perhaps out of the cluster near Hattiesburg/Columbia currently; or the discrete cells popping up near Baton Rouge, LA.
One of the subtle things I was noticing on model runs yesterday was an inversion at the surface in AL during the morning near the warm front. I'm not able to check if this verified, but if it did that would certainly be what's preventing these storms from being surface based.

Reaction score
Storm near Thomasville, AL now tornado warned. It's pretty much as far as possible from all the radars.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Cell crossing I-55/US-51 north of Lake Ponchartrain has quietly assumed a very supercellular look. Not even a severe thunderstorm warning yet.

Reaction score
Cell crossing I-55/US-51 north of Lake Ponchartrain has quietly assumed a very supercellular look. Not even a severe thunderstorm warning yet.

Looks like that died or got absorbed by the non-severe, ESE-training cluster. Flooding looks to be a far bigger story than tornadoes with this event.

Reaction score
Discrete cell in AL just ahead of the tornado-warned bow echo is likewise tornado-warned, near Greenville/Ft. Deposit. Probably the most threatening-looking hook and couplet of the event so far.

Back