• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX April 4th-6th, 2022 Severe Weather Threat

Reaction score
Absolutely. I have so many questions I don’t have answers to, like why call it the expected value if the lower bound is being used as the expected value instead? Why do surveyors give themselves permission to break the rules by doing things like this, or even going down below the lower bound?

Why is nobody being held accountable for what is essentially “rogue” surveying?
Also do you think most NWS offices don't use the EXP value of 200 mph because it is only 1 mph away from an EF5 and would cause a lot of controversy on social media with people screaming why don't you just rate it EF5? It is only 1 mph away from EF5.

buckeye05

Reaction score
So this is the house that lead to the EF3 rating for the Bonaire, GA tornado. Definitely a slider and seems to be lacking anchoring mechanisms of any kind.
Home3_Old_HawkinsvilleRd.jpg

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Like I said it seems NWS offices will usually rate a tornado an EF4 with winds of 190 mph instead of 200 mph to not cause controversy among the public and social media.
Allowing irrelevant factors to influence decisions leads to inaccurate results. Accuracy should be the only goal period; otherwise we can learn nothing from the results.

Phil

buckeye05

Reaction score
if the black creek tornado did much more intense contextual damage...more noticable ground scouring...complete debarking of trees...shredding of vehicles. do y'all think it could have got a 200mph EF4 rating....? or potentially....an EF5 rating?
With enough extreme contextual damage, yes. Those houses looked pretty well-built imo.

Logo 468x120
Back