• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX April 3rd-5th, 2023 (South, Southeast, Ohio Valley)

UK_EF4

Reaction score
Those CSU-MLP probabilities approaching high risk threshold there… wonder how they will change in the latest update. Nevertheless, significant event possible on Tuesday still it seems.

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Going into yesterday I was sort of of the mindset that yesterday was the appetizer and Tuesday was going to be the main course, so hopefully that doesn't end up being the case.
What most are still saying this morning from the professionals… that this was just appetizer to this upcoming week

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
What most are still saying this morning from the professionals… that this was just appetizer to this upcoming week
Pretty good model agreement on a substantial threat without a lot of obvious caveats. Some of the forecast soundings I pulled from Missouri on Tuesday afternoon/evening had some capping issues present but otherwise I don't see an obvious failure mode.

ColdFront

Reaction score
Pretty good model agreement on a substantial threat without a lot of obvious caveats. Some of the forecast soundings I pulled from Missouri on Tuesday afternoon/evening had some capping issues present but otherwise I don't see an obvious failure mode.
Yeah, I kept seeing those same inversions/caps on the models for yesterday’s event, specifically the NAM. So I wonder if this is synoptically similar right now?

I think you and I briefly discussed those before the event really kicked off.

Reaction score
Yeah, I kept seeing those same inversions/caps on the models for yesterday’s event, specifically the NAM. So I wonder if this is synoptically similar right now?

I think you and I briefly discussed those before the event really kicked off.

The cap is key...(along with the strength/type of forcing). Seems to be a small sweet spot that allows for sustained, open warm sector supercells without snuffing them out, yet not allowing for quick upscale growth before they can organize and produce tornadoes. Yesterday struck that rare balance.

UK_EF4

Reaction score
Area averaged GFS sounding on MO/IL border for Tuesday afternoon. Very favourable environment. Region of strong upper level support. Concerning to say the least. If trends continue a Day 3 Moderate wouldn't surprise me.

Attachments

• gfs_2023040112_084_area_37.png
    gfs_2023040112_084_area_37.png
    290.3 KB · Views: 0

ColdFront

Reaction score
The cap is key...(along with the strength/type of forcing). Seems to be a small sweet spot that allows for sustained, open warm sector supercells without snuffing them out, yet not allowing for quick upscale growth before they can organize and produce tornadoes. Yesterday struck that rare balance.
The southern (and even one of the cells in the north) cells ability to stay discrete basically the entire event yesterday was extremely surprising.

Back