• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX April 3rd-5th, 2023 (South, Southeast, Ohio Valley)

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Terrible how the areas that got devastated, are going to get potentially hit again by a big widespread significant severe weather event.
It does remind me a bit of how the 14-15 April and 26-27 April 2011 events went back over the same areas in short succession (not suggesting this will be of that caliber, just that it's a similar case of two consecutive higher-end systems affecting the same area)

ColdFront

Reaction score
Randy Bowers is with NWS Indianapolis (previously NWS Norman, I think?). Good—concerning—thread on this system.

I’m not going to pretend to know everything he’s talking about. But the specific tweet on “undular bores, subtle lead waves within the warm sector and their surface reflection (i.e., pre-frontal trough” rang some alarm bells as I was reading a paper by Confidi that was sent to me recently here on the 4/3/74 outbreak, and some of those obscure factors helped ratchet up the magnitude hugely on that day .

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Was Friday's outbreak the April 15th 2011 to the upcoming April 3-4th rendition of the April 27th 2011? Hmm.

(Just so I don't get a bunch of how dare I mention April 27th 2011 lol... I'm not saying this will be as bad just saying the irony of those events and then potentially the irony of the current situation)

Reaction score
Was Friday's outbreak the April 15th 2011 to the upcoming April 3-4th rendition of the April 27th 2011? Hmm.

(Just so I don't get a bunch of how dare I mention April 27th 2011 lol... I'm not saying this will be as bad just saying the irony of those events and then potentially the irony of the current situation)

As we always say on here, "Super"-caliber outbreaks are extremely rare but it's never wise to discount anything when it comes to Mother Nature.

ColdFront

Reaction score

I’m not going to pontificate at all on this event.

Just judging by the tweets of some Mets and other professionals I follow, I’m going to let them do the talking/analyzing on this one…

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
As we always say on here, "Super"-caliber outbreaks are extremely rare but it's never wise to discount anything when it comes to Mother Nature.
Definitely, yeah I was just commenting cause I remember April 15th 2011 was a BIG deal when it happened it was one of the highest tornado counts in a single day in Alabama and then a week later April 27th 2011 usurped that event.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
I’m not going to pontificate at all on this event.

Just judging by the tweets of some Mets and other professionals I follow, I’m going to let them do the talking/analyzing on this one…
Yeah when that guy you mentioned is analyzing small detail stuff already that means a lot of large scale stuff is pretty darn good I would suspect.

KCweatherboy

Reaction score
One thing I was really curious about if someone can help me out, what other events have occurred with longwave trough similar to the one being forecasted on the models? I know 4/3/74 and 11/10/02 were ones, but I don't know of any others off the top of my head

KCweatherboy

Reaction score
Also looking at the 18zNAM it appears to be way underdoing temps still. For reference, the highest temp I saw modeled for Kansas City on Tuesday was 74 degrees whereas my weather app has a forecasted high of 82 and local mets are saying 80-82 for a high temp

Wind Driven Coconut

Reaction score
I do realize the reluctance to compare a modeled event 4 days out to the historical events of ‘74 and ‘11, but sometimes I do wish there was more discussion of what a hypothetical generational outbreak would look like if someone ‘drew it up’ 4 days prior.

I just say this because it seems like a lot of well respected Mets are ringing some serious alarm bells here without making said comparisons.

Please note I’m simply a weather enthusiast so not even sure what drawing up a textbook version of a generational outbreak would be…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
I do realize the reluctance to compare a modeled event 4 days out to the historical events of ‘74 and ‘11, but sometimes I do wish there was more discussion of what a hypothetical generational outbreak would look like if someone ‘drew it up’ 4 days prior.

I just say this because it seems like a lot of well respected Mets are ringing some serious alarm bells here without making said comparisons.

Please note I’m simply a weather enthusiast so not even sure what drawing up a textbook version of a generational outbreak would be…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah well, I think this is what you would see 4 days out.
The small details will determine the likelihood of that ceiling being reached though.

That's why I urge more Mets to write out things in this forum this go around.

Back