• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX April 3rd-5th, 2023 (South, Southeast, Ohio Valley)

KevinH

Reaction score

Muwx

Reaction score
Nocturnal potential Tuesday night into Wednesday morning really needs to receive some attention.
Is this a bigger concern in the northern or southern area? I’ve seen some discussion that this could be an issue in the ozarks.

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Michigan and vicinity is a concern on Wednesday too. Setup aloft is favorable for a significant severe event for the Great Lakes.

UK_EF4

Reaction score
RAP going back to that more dangerous look with slightly more zonal, less amplified trough a bit further east, compared to GFS & ECM that of anything seem to be going the other way. The differences are very subtle but could mean a lot for the eventual event outcome - for example the latest RAP run was reminiscent of a large scale outbreak. Models like RAP are naturally favoured due to better resolution etc, but still globals shouldn't be discounted. Closer model watching necessary. The difference between a major tornado outbreak and isolated but still significant event will be a very fine line imo.
500wh.conus.png
500wh.conus.png

ColdFront

Reaction score
RAP going back to that more dangerous look with slightly more zonal, less amplified trough a bit further east, compared to GFS & ECM that of anything seem to be going the other way. The differences are very subtle but could mean a lot for the eventual event outcome - for example the latest RAP run was reminiscent of a large scale outbreak. Models like RAP are naturally favoured due to better resolution etc, but still globals shouldn't be discounted. Closer model watching necessary. The difference between a major tornado outbreak and isolated but still significant event will be a very fine line imo.
500wh.conus.png
500wh.conus.png
Noob question…

How are you able to discern zonal flow and trough amplification?

UK_EF4

Reaction score
Noob question…

How are you able to discern zonal flow and trough amplification?
You can discern zonal flow by how zonal (west to east) wind barbs are - the direction of wind is the opposite to the side of the line with the barbs on it. The amplification is just how amplified the wave is, i.e bigger distance between the top and bottom of the wave is more amplified. Hope this helped, sorry if my explanations were a bit iffy!

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Still see SW Tennessee busting the capping inversion late afternoon with more breaking out across WKY. Usually in WKY and CKY we usually don't see this type of energy build up.

See large hail and tornadoes Tuesday afternoon and evening. With wind event Wednesday morning.

Reaction score
Still see SW Tennessee busting the capping inversion late afternoon with more breaking out across WKY. Usually in WKY and CKY we usually don't see this type of energy build up.

See large hail and tornadoes Tuesday afternoon and evening. With wind event Wednesday morning.
Like, how bad of a wind event? Tuesday's probs gonna be a shortened school day, and I want to know if they just give up and s**tcan school on Wednesday.

Reaction score
I personally would like it if the event moves later into the evening, even though I know that's more dangerous. 4/4 is an election day here in Wisconsin, and I'll be working it. I really, really don't want to have to deal with securing my location and getting voters into shelter. After 8pm, then I only have to worry about securing ballots and getting other workers to shelter. Much easier.

Back