• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe WX April 3rd-5th, 2023 (South, Southeast, Ohio Valley)

ColdFront

Reaction score
Going to be an interesting few days leading up to this. The jet could theoretically speed up or shift in the coming days and “punch” into the open warm sector instead of graze it, correct?

Last edited:

buckeye05

Reaction score
The 18Z NAM EHI map almost looks like I imagine it would have for Palm Sunday 1965...large values extending from eastern Iowa across northern Illinois/far southern Wisconsin to northern IN and southwestern Lower MI. They don't extend quite as far east as the major activity did that day, but the overall pattern seems very similar.
Thoughts on Ohio? I’m wondering if the outlook area needs to be expanded eastward.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
I don’t fault Evan one bit. I actually have a hard time understanding why everyone is so hyped with this upcoming system.
Just looks like a whole bunch of capped, high LFC, modest shear garbage to me.
Every model shows basically f*#k all developing in the warm sector, and anything that does initiate goes linear almost instantly.
This can change of course, but as of now, definitely am not too on my toes like I was during the last event.

Reaction score
I don’t fault Evan one bit. I actually have a hard time understanding why everyone is so hyped with this upcoming system.
Every model shows basically f*#k all developing in the warm sector, and anything that does initiate goes linear almost instantly.
This can change of course, but as of now, definitely am not too on my toes like I was during the last event.

Sounding off the new GFS run for 21Z Tuesday in northwest IL.

Yes there is some capping there, but at 69/65 mixing/LCL certainly wouldn't be an issue. @andyhb

Attachments

• gfs_2023040200_069_41.5--90.25.jpg
    gfs_2023040200_069_41.5--90.25.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 0

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Remember a D3 MDT would be spanning all severe types, not just tornadoes.
We all forget other severe weather and focus on tornadoes for obvious and honest reasons. But when we experience a hail storm that is severe enough that it forces us to repair our roof, car, and truck, and then we might look at things differently and pay attention to other storms. I remember winds being severe enough at our other home to change the neighborhood's appearance. We experienced a downburst strong enough to fall several massive trees.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
Meh, the LCL can be at the surface for all I care. It’s the LFC that actually matters, since thats the level where the air parcels does a free accent, basically where any potential updrafts would form. And that’s almost at 700mb, plus the fact that low level helicity is below 300 with shear barley at 40knots. A good majority of that stream wise vorticity will be lost.
Though that’s assuming that the LFC was even at an optimal height in the first place.
Lastly, that 6.0 low level lapse rate, while would be favorable in the Deep South, is pitiful up north, especially with that cap and high LFC.

ColdFront

Reaction score
Meh, the LCL can be at the surface for all I care. It’s the LFC that actually matters, since thats the level where the air parcels does a free accent, basically where any potential updrafts would form. And that’s almost at 700mb, plus the fact that low level helicity is below 300 with shear barley at 40knots. A good majority of that stream wise vorticity will be lost.
Though that’s assuming that the LFC was even at an optimal height in the first place.
Lastly, that 6.0 low level lapse rate, while would be favorable in the Deep South, is pitiful up north, especially with that cape and high LFC.
I think we are still a ways out though…

Reaction score
Pretty bold take, but who knows you may end up being right. Just curious what models you are referring to as far as talking about storms not initiating? It hasn’t made it to any of the convective allowing models yet.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
Pretty bold take, but who knows you may end up being right. Just curious what models you are referring to as far as talking about storms not initiating? It hasn’t made it to any of the convective allowing models yet.
I was referring to warm sector initiation, which every global model and now even the nam shows nothing. The only initiation that takes place is near the cold front which everything is linear.
Plus even if discrete initiation occurred, the aforementioned factors I mentioned above would do in a lot of it.
However, like I said, things can change, for everyone’s sake concerning what just happened yesterday, for the better.

ColdFront

Reaction score
I was referring to warm sector initiation, which every global model and now even the nam shows nothing. The only initiation that takes place is near the cold front which everything is linear.
Plus even if discrete initiation occurred, the aforementioned factors I mentioned above would do in a lot of it.
However, like I said, things can change, for everyone’s sake concerning what just happened yesterday, for the better.
You’re just repeating Evan’s tweet Verbatim now…

Are you looking at composite reflectivity on the NAM?

I’m just curious On what model you’re using

jiharris0220

Reaction score
You’re just repeating Evan’s tweet Verbatim now…

Are you looking at composite reflectivity on the NAM?
How so?
All I’m saying is that I agree with him and that people shouldn’t be so quick to pull the trigger.
And yes I’m talking about the nam. Sure it does poorly with low level temps which would decrease instability. But that’s not the case this time. If anything it’s showing the most favorable environment because of less surface mixing.

ColdFront

Reaction score
How so?
All I’m saying is that I agree with him and that people shouldn’t be so quick to pull the trigger.
And yes I’m talking about the nam. Sure it does poorly with low level temps which would decrease instability. But that’s not the case this time. If anything it’s showing the most favorable environment because of less surface mixing.
Cool thanks for answering my question.

I think we will get a better idea on storm location/initiation better in the coming days as the CAMS come into range

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score

A dryline staying uncapped for 6+ hours and not convecting is not something I'd hang my hat on.

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
How so?
whoa now... but i thought a top analog was april 3 1974?