• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX April 19-20, 2020 Severe Weather Threat

Kory

Reaction score
That storm at 5ish as it came through Trussville was absurdly loud. Probably the most frequent amount of close lightning strikes that I can remember occuring here in years.
Nothing tops the lightning from last weekend's tornadic storm here, but I just recently moved to a condo across town in Tuscaloosa and didn't have my curtains up. It was like someone kept flashing a flashlight in my windows at 4:30am.

It isn't just y'all's imagination. The surface inversion makes thunder louder as the sound waves reverberate between the inversion and the ground.

Jacob

Reaction score
Nothing tops the lightning from last weekend's tornadic storm here, but I just recently moved to a condo across town in Tuscaloosa and didn't have my curtains up. It was like someone kept flashing a flashlight in my windows at 4:30am.

It isn't just y'all's imagination. The surface inversion makes thunder louder as the sound waves reverberate between the inversion and the ground.

Yeah I screen grabbed an image of Tuscaloosa off of RadarScope during that storm because of the insane amount of lightning.

This morning’s thunder was louder than normal because of what you mentioned, but there was also 10-15 strikes in a 1-2 minute window that was just nuts.

441F9E0C-3410-4B32-85BB-7856D8112F20.png

AL_ham_op

Reaction score
From looking at Chilton County 911's Twitter feed it looks like whatever came through Chilton county earlier did a ton of tree damage, especially around Thorsby. Lots of reports of trees down on houses and across roads.
Chilton County 911

Bama Ravens

Reaction score
I sort of wonder if an enhanced risk is all that is needed today, but like others have said, you just need one or two Beauregard like storms riding a boundary or something to make this a big event. 12z HRRR pick up on the idea of one or two potential long track storms/tornadoes.

uh25_max.us_se.png

Richardjacks

Meteorologist
Reaction score
I sort of wonder if an enhanced risk is all that is needed today, but like others have said, you just need one or two Beauregard like storms riding a boundary or something to make this a big event. 12z HRRR pick up on the idea of one or two potential long track storms/tornadoes.

uh25_max.us_se.png
I agree, the overall threat areas has really shrunk, any storm that is able to ride the boundary could be significant. I am trying to remember if that boundary last year was moving or if it had become nearly stationary.

Mr. Clark

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
A break in the rain in North Alabama has brought something I didn't expect to see today.... sunshine.

bwalk

Reaction score
Very obvious where the warm front is located.
0851-4-19-20.png

This is a very helpful site to add to one's weather link folder. Do you mind sharing the link for those of us who may be looking for a good mesonet graphic like this one? It is much easier to read than many I have seen (less crowded w/ other data)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Smoke Rise, AL (25 mi. N of downtown Birmingham)
This is a very helpful site to add to one's weather link folder. Do you mind sharing the link for those of us who may be looking for a good mesonet graphic like this one? It is much easier to read than many I have seen (less crowded w/ other data)

Yes, it's the Wunderground map from Weather Underground. Make sure the Weather Stations option is checked with Temperature/Wind so you get the data from personal weather stations. https://www.wunderground.com/wunder...0Q&wxsn=0&svr=0&cams=0&sat=0&riv=0&mm=0&hur=0

sak

Reaction score
So now that the intial batch has cleared the I-20 corridor through Alabama, I guess we just wait for storms to fire to the southwest and watch them progress and see where the warm front is when it matters.

Kory

Reaction score
You can see the rain cooled boundary racing south of the complex over Central AL on radar. Will be interesting how the next complex of storms coming from MS interacts with the boundary as it’s wavers over south/central AL.

Logo 468x120
Back