• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX April 19-20, 2020 Severe Weather Threat

Bama Ravens

Reaction score
Check out the helicity streaks on the NAM as well

uh25_max.us_se.png
The weird thing about this, though, is that it doesn't really coincide with the surface based cape coming from the 3k NAM.

Richardjacks

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Not really much to keep the warm front south of 20/59 on the latest HRRR models.
If this is correct, I think the warm front will be "locked in" and not be able to move much further north, in fact, simulated reflectivity suggests the storms will be backbuilding over the same area...but of course, this is the hr.

1587251443012.png

brianc33710

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
OK. Right now in AL marginal & moderate are < 100 mi apart. No risk at all is much further. These bands are super tight.

brianc33710

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Interestingly, BMX has a rainfall bullseye in Chilton Co, which is in the Mod risk zone. So they could have the worst of both.

Kory

Reaction score
true, but the LLJ will just keep pushing warm moist air over the cooler more stable air, causing more rain to lock in the warm front position...at least that is what happens many times.
Looks like the HRRR shoots a complex out of Texas/Louisiana before the LLJ can become established and allow for more recovery. Lets see what the other CAMs too, because there isn't nearly as good of consensus as last Sunday.

Richardjacks

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Looks like the HRRR shoots a complex out of Texas/Louisiana before the LLJ can become established and allow for more recovery. Lets see what the other CAMs too, because there isn't nearly as good of consensus as last Sunday.
The fact that the sfc low gets "pulled" a little more south on that run is strong evidence that the warm front will make little progress to the north, if any....especially after 4 or 5 pm.

andyhb

Reaction score
Yeah that HRRR run is a mess, becoming less confident in a tornado threat here should anything like that verify. It is also really veered with the surface winds.

Richardjacks

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Yeah that HRRR run is a mess, becoming less confident in a tornado threat here should anything like that verify. It is also really veered with the surface winds.
in fact that really questions if there should be anything above slight risk for severe weather...the surface low is actually filling as it moves into Alabama, so little/no pressure falls. Still good shear with cape pushed south

Last edited:

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
If that's true, uncertainty is higher than last weekend AND dynamics seem weaker with veering and potentially messy storm mode. I don't understand it.

ARCC

Reaction score
If that's true, uncertainty is higher than last weekend AND dynamics seem weaker with veering and potentially messy storm mode. I don't understand it.

Must be heavily weighting the ARW which blasts South AL/MS with strong long track UH streaks. That said, besides the HRRR, it is really by itself. Earlier yesterday I could have seen a high risk being issued in the day Sunday if it all was lining up right. However my confidence has trended lower through out the day.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yep, I thought we were trending a little lower; obviously still a dangerous setup but really nothing has stood out to me as being nearly as nasty as the Easter outbreak. With model uncertainty still a little on the high side (not to mention that area's usual massive trouble with warm sector convection and iffy storm mode) it would be surprising for them to pull that trigger so soon, but that ain't my call

Back