• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX April 12-15th, 2018 Severe Potential

Richardjacks

Meteorologist
Reaction score
I have seen many euro runs that look like that in the beginning that ends up being a SE severe maker....not sure that is the case this time around, but usually a deamp trend tends to mean further east.

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
I have seen many euro runs that look like that in the beginning that ends up being a SE severe maker....not sure that is the case this time around, but usually a deamp trend tends to mean further east.

Overdoing the strength of the southeast ridge is a very big bias problem. It may take a couple runs but I fully expect that issue to correct itself.

ARCC

Reaction score
The Euro is notorious for overamplifying things at this range. I'm not particularly concerned about it at this juncture. If anything, it's a good thing because that means that things may not be underamped at verification.

Very possible. Either way, another big system on its heels with the big jet streak entering into California at hour 240 with deep moisture in place over the south. Gonna be a lot of model watching over the next two weeks.

Richardjacks

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Very possible. Either way, another big system on its heels with the big jet streak entering into California at hour 240 with deep moisture in place over the south. Gonna be a lot of model watching over the next two weeks.
The pattern next week is going to mean trouble for someone late in the week, that's a given.

Tennie

Reaction score
The models are already starting to disagree on whether or not there will even be any severe weather late next week. 0Z GFS has much of central OK and KS under EHI values >4 on Thursday evening. 0Z CFS has CAPE values >2,000 over part of central OK during that same time frame, but even higher values over central TX Friday and Saturday. Other models don't seem to suggest much out of the ordinary. This will almost certainly be one of those "wait and see"-type events.

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
The models are already starting to disagree on whether or not there will even be any severe weather late next week. 0Z GFS has much of central OK and KS under EHI values >4 on Thursday evening. 0Z CFS has CAPE values >2,000 over part of central OK during that same time frame, but even higher values over central TX Friday and Saturday. Other models don't seem to suggest much out of the ordinary. This will almost certainly be one of those "wait and see"-type events.

? I don't see any major global with no severe weather threat next week. The 0z Euro is an omnious Dixie look as well. What models are you talking about?

Correction *0z Euro

Tennie

Reaction score
? I don't see any major global with no severe weather threat next week. The 0z Euro is an omnious Dixie look as well. What models are you talking about?

Correction *0z Euro

Some models (such as GEFS and GDPS) don't seem to have as much in the way of severe weather ingredients across the eastern/central CONUS over the period of Thursday-Sunday. Meanwhile, the GFS, CFS, ECMWF, and EPS all have at least some chance of severe weather over that area/period.

KoD

Staff member
Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
GFS and Euro showing a second disturbance around the 17th. Gonna be an interesting month that's for sure.

KoD

Staff member
Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
7PrxTOrl.jpg

SPC starting to highlight regions in the LR, day 6. I'm sure placement will shift & possibly trend northward.
Euro still showing some fair consistency (with the exception of timing the low placement around 12 hours sooner, 12 hours later):
8HydQpHl.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
7PrxTOrl.jpg

SPC starting to highlight regions in the LR, day 6. I'm sure placement will shift & possibly trend northward.
Euro still showing some fair consistency (with the exception of timing the low placement around 12 hours sooner, 12 hours later):
8HydQpHl.jpg
yeah... looks to be the start of a active severe pattern coming up

Kory

Reaction score
GFS seems to be in its own world regarding this weekend's system...go figure. Euro/CMC agree with the slower solution and much better moisture return allowing a more potent warm sector. UKMET through 144 hrs agrees with the slower evolution like the Euro/CMC.

Very deep trough on the models which takes on a negative tilt. I never like to talk storm mode this far out, but this would probably be another nasty squall line marching across the South.

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
GFS seems to be in its own world regarding this weekend's system...go figure. Euro/CMC agree with the slower solution and much better moisture return allowing a more potent warm sector. UKMET through 144 hrs agrees with the slower evolution like the Euro/CMC.

Very deep trough on the models which takes on a negative tilt. I never like to talk storm mode this far out, but this would probably be another nasty squall line marching across the South.
low level shear that been showing on the euro... favor a tornado threat... also wind fields look rather impressive this far out...

Reaction score
12Z GFS verbatim isn't especially impressive. Thursday would be a decent day for the Plains except it's capped. Front pushes through the MS Valley Friday morning too early for peak heating, and by the time it gets to the OH/TN valleys the system is occluded with flow mostly parallel to the cold front. Then it wipes the Gulf dry on Monday yet somehow has upper 60s to the Red River by Wedensday evening.

Logo 468x120
Back