• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

2/10/2020-2/12/2020 Severe Weather and Flooding Threat

TCLwx

Reaction score
We got just over 3" in that morning wave. Saw a couple cars on side streets that almost certainly have water in them. We have a large drainage ditch that just about got out of its banks. Thankfully we have had a bit of a pause to let things recede.

Kory

Reaction score
We got just over 3" in that morning wave. Saw a couple cars on side streets that almost certainly have water in them. We have a large drainage ditch that just about got out of its banks. Thankfully we have had a bit of a pause to let things recede.
Round two is knocking on our doors. This might be worse than round one.

Kory

Reaction score
Seems like the heaviest rain axis, at least for now, has set up south of the high flood threat area.
That is going to shift back north as the LLJ picks up. The rain cooled air shifted the convergence south of where models initially had it.

lol the NAM might’ve been the worst.

darkskys25

Reaction score
Reed Timmer loves to use the 'T' word.

View attachment 2477
Hes called for an outbreak in dixie alley the last 2 systems. 1st off both systems very early on looked liked a very significant threat. However there are almost always limiting factors and both systems underperformed compared to the initial setup. Sure we had tornadoes and a couple of strong ones but in no way were they tornado outbreaks. Tim sees the setup early and the hype train starts. There are significant limiting factors for wed. Spc even questions there own enhanced risk for west al.

Kory

Reaction score
Hes called for an outbreak in dixie alley the last 2 systems. 1st off both systems very early on looked liked a very significant threat. However there are almost always limiting factors and both systems underperformed compared to the initial setup. Sure we had tornadoes and a couple of strong ones but in no way were they tornado outbreaks. Tim sees the setup early and the hype train starts. There are significant limiting factors for wed. Spc even questions there own enhanced risk for west al.
Um, which systems are you referring to?

I’m not here to clutter up this thread, but January 10-11th had nearly 80 tornadoes with 13 strong. Feb 5th-7th had 37 tornadoes with 6 strong. I’m not sure where you get underperformed as if there was a threshold set or something prior. I guess you could say the parameters in place could’ve yielded a more significant threat? But the Jan 10-11th event is in the upper echelon of outbreaks for January (yes, it was an outbreak though we don’t really have a true meteorological definition). Feb 5th-7th, despite ALL that was working against it yielded a few long track tornadoes through Dixie alley. Not every event will be 4/27 if that’s what you’re using to measure outbreaks.

With that being said, Wednesday has a lot working against it and Reed is a severe wx weenie.

Bama Ravens

Reaction score
Sort of interesting how the souther half of Lamar, Fayette and Walker counties aren’t under a flash flood warning when they were in the high risk for flooding area and every county around them is under a flash flood warning. I get they've missed out on the worst rain, but still, interesting...

Reaction score
Um, which systems are you referring to?

I’m not here to clutter up this thread, but January 10-11th had nearly 80 tornadoes with 13 strong. Feb 5th-7th had 37 tornadoes with 6 strong. I’m not sure where you get underperformed as if there was a threshold set or something prior. I guess you could say the parameters in place could’ve yielded a more significant threat? But the Jan 10-11th event is in the upper echelon of outbreaks for January (yes, it was an outbreak though we don’t really have a true meteorological definition). Feb 5th-7th, despite ALL that was working against it yielded a few long track tornadoes through Dixie alley. Not every event will be 4/27 if that’s what you’re using to measure outbreaks.

With that being said, Wednesday has a lot working against it and Reed is a severe wx weenie.

1/10-11 and 2/5-7 I would consider "severe weather events" but not "tornado outbreaks." 4/27/11 is obviously an extreme example, but lesser verified HIGH/high-end MDT caliber events like 11/10/02, 2/5/08, 4/24/10, 3/2/12, 4/27-28/14, 12/16/19 to name a few would qualify in my book.

IMO calling every potential event a "tornado outbreak" reduces the impact of the phrase when those caliber type of events do come around. It certainly shouldn't be trumpeted all over social media 4-5 days in advance when there are as many caveats as Wednesday has.

Last edited:

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Let's move the Reed Timmer discussion over to the Banter Thread and focus more on the severe/flooding threat in this one. Thanks!

Back