• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Winter Weather/Ice Storm Threat January 30 - February 3, 2023 - Ice Ice Baby

Reaction score
sfctd-imp.conus.png

GFS has finally stopped flip flopping. The last 4 runs have been in agreement with Euro and Canadian on moisture.

Its safe to say that there will be at least a slight risk of severe weather on Wednesday, Feb 1.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Not sure if this will end up as a severe threat or a ice threat. If I'm correct on the time frame.

Maybe a ice after the severe who knows.

Last edited:

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
This, is the similar solution the euro shows for that time frame. Until better operational support and ensemble support winter weather and severe are possible. wintry_setup_south.jpg

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
The euros temp and preicp at the same time. Depends how deep that cold air is. Could spell trouble for icing. Potential for two distinct possibilities in the future severe and winter weather (ice). us_model-en_modez_2023012512_186_5_241.pngus_model-en_modez_2023012512_186_5_210.png

JPWX

Reaction score
The 6z and 12z GFS from yesterday showed potential for an ice event though it hasn't been consistent.
gfs-deterministic-alms-frzr_total-5857600 (1).pnggfs-deterministic-alms-frzr_total-5857600.png

Last edited:

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
It really depends on the evolution of that Jetstream and how deep the cold air is from the high pressure system. It's a nasty ice event if the pattern pans out

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
I need all of that to stay NORTH of me. The south can’t handle ICE!
Lol nobody can handle Ice. Still a long ways away doubt the bullish ice totals on the runs but it presents the broad idea of potentially winter mischief lol

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Just a possibility that needs to be put on a board of possibilities; a few analogs would be good to look into, at this point. But usually with a huge high-pressure with blistering cold and a subtropical jet over the south east. Leads to overlapping and colder air at the surface with warmer air above.

Generally at this point a blistering cold high pressure needs to cautious with many cases with the dense cold air pushing in quicker or more profoundly. Kinda has to do with the role of boundaries and atmosphere.

Reaction score
The 1998 Ice Storm is the one I have bad memories from. Slipped on ice and fractured my wrist on my writing hand. Had multiple trees fall on my sister's house next door and my dad's house didn't have power for almost 3 weeks. Luckily he had gas heaters installed on all of the walls of his house back then.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
It's highly unlikely that in the next week or week and half or so that somebody in the deep south doesn't get some form of wintry precip, seems unlikely with the possibility of atleast two short waves making there way through possibly through the Gulf as a closed low or just as a broad shortwave with increased precip. We ACTUALLY have the cold air for a little while at the front door to make it happen this go round; we are right around peak timing for a winter precip with late January/ early February being the most likely time for snow in the deep south historically.

Back